eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase certified, imac, macs, bridhestone certified
6149662

Hyundai Excel How to replace front wheel bearings on 1999

Customer Question

How to replace front wheel bearings on 1999 Excel? Mostly pre-load on bearings/ axle nut tension...
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  eauto replied 5 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.nstall the disc to the hub, and torque to specification. Disc to hub 50 - 60 Nm (500 - 600 kg cm, 37 - 44 ft. lbs.)\
Tighten the hub to the knuckle to 230 Nm (2,350 kg.cm, 167 ft. lbs.)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, install the bearings and seals on the hub, and when installing back on the vehicle, tighten nut on CV shaft to 230Nm... Is this correct???
Expert:  eauto replied 5 years ago.
yes sir exactly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Register Here
GRRRRRRRRR...

Register Here
Well that what I have done, with brand new bearings and seals, packed with grease and all, and still got play on the bearings after the nut is tensioned up...

Register Here
Expert:  eauto replied 5 years ago.
either you have a bad bearing... or the axle can also be the issue

1. Measure the hub bearing starting torque. Hub bearing starting torque [Limit]:1.3 Nm (13 kg cm, 11 inch lbs.) or less.
  2. If the starting torque is 0.0 Nm (0.0 inch lbs.) , measure the hub bearing axial play.

1. If the hub axial play exceeds the limit while the nut is tightened to 235 Nm (2,350 kg.cm, 167 ft. lbs.) , the bearing, hub and knuckle have not been installed correctly. Repeat the disassembly and assembly procedure. Hub bearing axial play [Limit]:0.11 mm (0.0043 inch) or less.
  2. Remove the special tool.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the starting torque with bearings greased or dry???
Expert:  eauto replied 5 years ago.
with
Apply the specified multipurpose grease to the bearing and to the inside of the knuckle. Recommended grease: SAE J310a, multipurpose grease, NLGI No.2
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You said 11 inch lbs for starting torque, but diagram you sent showed 16 inch lbs...
Expert:  eauto replied 5 years ago.
straight out of the manual...it may be contradictary...buit its basically getting the nut snug to start.... a few inch pounds plus or minus will make no difference in the end result
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll see how I go, but I'd say I'll be taking the bearing kit back in the morning with a few not so nice things to say!!! I had similar trouble witht the rear hubs (complete sealed units) where no matter what tension, there was still play in the bearings. I have used this supplier for many different bearings with no problems in the past, except on this Hyundai... Have you heard of issues like this before with Hyundai's???
Expert:  eauto replied 5 years ago.
i prefer factory parts on press in bearings....i dont like doing the job twice...and the price difference is minimal