Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

My gear shift is stuck on park in my hyndai

my gear shift is stuck on park in my hyndai
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there! Do the brake lights come on when you step on the brakes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my car is hyndai accent 2005 2 door my shift gear is stuck on park what can i do to work again
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
WEll, it is hard to say what is wrong without a little testing.
This is why I am asking about the brake lights. It is activated by the brake light switch. If the switch is working the lights will come on. If not, then a simple fuse may resolve the issue for you. I do need the info I asked for to help you determine what the problem is.
Please let me know if the brake lights are working or not.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my blake lights is working
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, we have a couple of fuses to check that affect the shifter,and not the brake light.
These fuses are located inside the car.
Fuse #1 and fuse #14.
Fuse #14 is the fuse that provides power to the a/t shift and key lock control module.
Fuse #1 also provides a source of power for the module.
Check these fuses and let me know.
If your fuse box is not numbered, let me know and I will try to provide their location on the fuse box.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the fuse box my blakes light are working fine
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so why my shift gear does not work could you tell me that i what to know what to do 2 you want me to check the fuse box and how i know what is wrong you know how am woman i just know how to drive just got divorce and his used to do everything relate to the car make easy on me because i cannot understand what you want me to do1 do you want me to check the fuse box2 how can i know what is wrong 3. i need to put my shift gear to work again please help
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, it has to be diagnosed. I can't just say to you the park neutral position switch needs to be replaced without checking all the parts and pieces. There are several different components to the shifter that need to be looked at.
Here is what I suggest will be the best method for you.
On the cover of the shifter there is a small plastic piece that can be removed. Remove this piece, then take a small screwdriver or bic pen cap and push down. At the same time pull the shift lever and it should come out of park.
You can drive the car this way and have it diagnosed and repaired. Since you are uncertain how to check the fuses, then I suspect giving you the tech info won't really be doing you any favors. This should however allow you to get the car out of park so you can continue to drive it until you can have it looked at.
Here is a diagram and the location of the shift overide is highlighted.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i will check what you told me one moment i will be back
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, please reply and let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay i went there in the morning the lights was working however now just the light in the front the blake light is not working and i can not find the fuse you are talking about i do not know if that help the box of fuse the number is XXXXX also i can not find the On the cover of the shifter there is a small plastic piece that can be removed. Remove this piece, then take a small screwdriver or bic pen could send me another big picture i am really dummy about car sorry
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Are you saying you don't have this as shown here?

graphic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
For the brake lights you want to check fuse #8
Here is some info.
I have to get my sone from school. Please reply and I will respond as soon as I am back!

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i did what did you taught me and work what do you think is the problem now i took to the Hyundai they told me they could not do anything because is working now normal the way supposed to be. just in case if the shift stuck to call them..Any another advice also my box is number 3 i cannot find fuse 1 and 14 my fuse goes by 20 30...........
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You are looking at the fuse amp ratings. The fuse #s should be on the cover.
I suspect what may have happened is things just got out of sync. Once you got it out of park and back in, things were probably back into sync and that is why it is now working normally.
This happens sometimes and at least now you know how to get it out of park! :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!I really appreciate all your for real
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome! If you need further assistance sometime just let me know!
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience: I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.