George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

Hyundai Sonata I want to change the transmission fluid on

I want to change the transmission fluid on my 2010 Sonata with an automatic. Is there any sprecial trick to it other than draining the old fluid and replacing it and maybe changing the filter?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,

Can I ask why you want to change the fluid?

this fluid should last until 60,000 miles and with the age of your vehicle I doubt you have that many miles.

It is a simple matter of using Hyundai SP3 fluid and replacing what you drain out.

Let me know why you want to replace the fluid, there is no filter to change so no need to drop the pan.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yep my car has 61000 miles on it. The dealer was after me the last time I was in to get it changed @ 60k. I wanted to do it myself and save a few bucks. I bought it used from Enterprise and it had 34k miles. I drive about 5000 miles a month for my job.

Also is it okay to use a C-clamp to push the caliper piston back into the bore when changing the brake pads? The diagram shows some fancy tool that I should use.

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

I guess you drive a little more than average so just drain what you can from a warm transmission and fill it back through the dipstick. Pour the fluid in slowly and after 3.5 quarts start the engine and keep checking til is is in the lower range on the stick.

Use Hyundai SP-3 fluid and get five quarts. There is no filter to change

A shop with a trans flush machine would be able to replace as much as 90% of the fluid and you will be able to do about 30%

The front pistons are pushed back and you can use a c clamp, I like the disc piston tool (Less than $10) as it is easier to control. I open the bleeder and keep it upright to push the fluid out the bleeder and not back through the ABS hydraulic valves into the reservoir. There is less chance of pushing rust or dirt back into very expensive parts that way.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you