Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai sante fe having problems removing headlight assembly

having problems removing headlight assembly on 2008 santa fe. followed instructions in manual cannot remove from car once unbolted and disconnected harness. whats the trick
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there! I am showing 2 bolts and one nut on the back side.
If you didn't remove the nut, then that may be the problem. If you did, then it is probably the clips on the fender side holding it in. If you pull straight out it should come. Might take some force, they can be very tight.
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>nuts are out. this is onthe battery side and is hard to place pressure from behind. as for pulling straight out there is no where to grap it. it is more stuck on thefender side and i can pull it out at the radiator side but that's it. i am putting a lot of force on this thing short of a pry bar. </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
There is a retaining clip on the fender side. This is probably what is holding you up.
Problem is you can only pull to get the assembly out.
possibly a putty knife if you can get it in the crack but you need to be careful not to damage the paint.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's not working i can get the thing to start coming out at the bottomand towards the radiator side no problem. from I can see the assembly is larger that the fender cutout so it appears that i can't pull it straight out. It almost looks as though you have to pull it out at the radiator side then slide the entire assembly towards the raditor until the cut out is large enough for it to come out. honestly just put it all back together at this point and i'll wait for better light and more patience to try again. too cold and banged up my hands enough for one night. Thanks for you help.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Your very welcome. It says nothing in the manual about the damn clip other then be careful not to break it.....like you didn't know that already?
They are never to clear in the manuals on these. And if it is cold, that actually takes away from the flexability of the pastic so it is better if you hold off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can uyou tell me if I already did accept an answer. I did click accept on one of them. Don,t know if it went through

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I am not showing any accepts.