George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

2005 Hyundai XG350: a crankshaft replacement..sound reasonable

I received a $1,275 repair estimate for a crankshaft replacement on a 2005 Hyundai XG350. Does that sound reasonable or extremely high?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

That seems reasonable if that includes labor and the crank and bearings. The list is 28.8 hours labor and $1716 for the crank so your estimate is about 1/4 of the list price.

Why is the crank being replaced?

Edited by George H on 1/2/2011 at 3:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's actually the crankshaft sensor. Does that make a difference in the price?

Well when I put the key in the ignition to start the car, it would just turnover for about 3 minutes then just stop trying to turn on all together.

The dealer said that the crankshaft sensor needs to be replaced which I understand is a big job; however, does $1,275 still sound reasonable for the sensor?

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

That makes a huge difference.

If they only replace the crank sensor the timing belt will be removed along with the other belts on the front of the engine so if any of the belts are worn it is a good time to replace them. With a $1275 estimate I suspect that other work is to be performed at the same time though.

The sensor list price is $80 and the time required to replace is 3.0 hours so at $100 per hour labor and 1 hour to diagnose it the charge should be $480 plus shop fees and taxes.

I would be very sure about what work is being done and if it is just the sensor and the time to diagnose ask what the costs break down to.

Let me know what I can do to help and please ask any questions you have about this

Thank you

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.
Did you have further questions?