Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.

I have oil in my coolant overflow what does this mean?

i have oil in my coolant overflow what does this mean?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there! Does the car run hot or misfire or anything?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no it's not running hot it actually runs fine i had to replace a head gasket in it about a month or so ago but its been running great i just noticed it this morning when i was checkin my fluids
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, it may be residual oil from the prior issue with the head gasket. They will put exhaust gases into the coolant and make a oil substance all over everything. Inside the radiator, in the over flow. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try and remove it and clean it up a bit, but if the engine is running fine, I am sure it is just left over from the prior problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so how do i get it out? is it ok to put coolant in the overflow tank now

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I would remove the overflow and get some degrease and spray it in there, then hose it out.
You can put some coolant in the overflow as is,depending on how much oil is in there. If it is more or less stuck to the side and such, not like 2 inches in the bottom it won't hurt to put coolant in there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its up to the low level mark on the overflow...im askn because i'm about to get on the road and drive about 5hrs
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
I have to assume you mean the coolant level is up to the low mark. I would not be that concerned to be honest. The overflow is just that, the overflow. This is where the coolant goes if you were to shut the engine off and it boiled. As the heat builds, the extra coolant goes into the overflow, then as the engine cools, it is sucked into the radiator.
I personally would not touch it for 2 reasons.
First, it has not been a problem and has likely been this way since the head gasket repair.
Second, the car is not overheating or having any issues at this time.
You will be safe to run the car as it is and won't have any problems.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience: I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.