Hyundai expert
Hyundai expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30yrs experience

2001 Hyundai Tiburon. Dome lights are out. I changed bulbs,

Customer Question

2001 Hyundai Tiburon. Dome lights are out. I changed bulbs, but still nothing. All other components work.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Hyundai expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Check the fuse 6 in the left kick pad and see if the fuse is good and has power.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the left kick pad and how do i check the fuse for power
The left kick pad is near your feet , and use a test light to see if theres power going it .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
test light? what is that ? I am not a mechanic
The car is in a parking garage 2 NYC blocks from where I am writing. How do I arrange this before accepting this advice, please
You will need to purchase a test light from the parts store and attach the ground clip on the light to the body , then probe the fuse and see if theres power present
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't say that you have helped me then. I have to buy a tester and try this all before I can say that
we will fix this , this is just the first thing to check , hang in there and we will cure it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll need to get back to you tomorrow...How do I do that?
Just reply back to me right here no problem and we will continue on thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Remember ..all of the devices run through fuse #6 always worked... But I checked fuse #6 anyway..I dropped it as I was removing it for inspection..so I went to PepBoys for a new one...and to look at the probe you suggested I buy. I got into a conversation with a mechanic there who said that if the fuse is working there is nothing wrong with the panel connection. I put in the new fuse..the clock reset itself, but the dome lights are still non functional
Does your car have a sunroof
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes..it works too
REMOVE ANY OF THE BULBS AND THERE SHOULD BE POWER ON ONE SIDE OF THE BULB SOCKET . IF THERE ISN'T YOU HAVE A BROKEN WIRE IN THE CIRCUIT
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found someone on the Hyundai forum with a similar proble.
diaman53 from 1 year ago . His statement was, " I figured out the problem. I dropped the light unit out of the headliner. There is a tiny screew on the outside edge of the wiring going to each light unit...tightened each screw did the trick"
I would try this but i don't know how to drop the light unit out of the headliner . I see where ascrewdriver my be inserted to pry it away but, frankly, I'm too timid to yank on it
There's the procedure for replacing the bulb,
Service and Repair

OVERHEAD CONSOLE LAMP

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
  2. Using a (-) driver, detach the map lamp lens.

1. Detach the lamp assembly from the headliner after removal of the screws (2EA).
  2. Disconnect the connector from the roof harness.
  3. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One needs to disconnect the negative battery terminal before changing the bulbs?
I didn't do that..is that why the whole thing no longer functions?
The diagrams, even when blown up, are so small and unlabelled...are the 4 little circles the screws? I'll have to look at the assembly tomorrow in the daylight....it's so hard to know exactly what I'm looking at with these drawings
No you do not need to disconnect the battery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
have I misunderstood the first line?

It then says
but it doesn't show where the 2 (each) screws are
I'll get back to you tomorrow
yes , as a saftey precaution unhook the battery, its not nessacary but it is a good saftey precaution . The screws are those little circles in the second picture
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The advice I got from the Hyundai Forum was correct. Because the other devices all functioned properly, I knew the fuses had nothing to do with the problem. I'm glad I didn't go out and buy a test light as per your suggestion. So even though I basically figured this all out myself, utilizing my own research outside of this service, you got me the details as to how to remove the unit from the headliner.
Okay thank you if there's anything else I can do for you please let me know