Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Hyundai Elantra having a hard time removing the transmission

Customer Question

having a hard time removing the transmission to get to the clutch replacement, any suggestions?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Did you still need help?

Would you like the procedure to remove and replace the clutch?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Here is the procedure from alldata.

CLUTCH COVER AND DISC

REMOVAL

1. Drain the clutch fluid and transaxle gear oil.
  2. Remove the transaxle assembly.

1. Insert the special tool (09411-25000) in the clutch disc to prevent the disc from falling.
  2. Loosen the bolts which attach the clutch cover to the flywheel in a star pattern.
  3. Loosen the bolts in succession, one or two turns at a time, to avoid bending the cover flange.

CAUTION: DO NOT clean the clutch disc or release bearing with cleaning solvent.

INSPECTION
CLUTCH COVER ASSEMBLY

1. Check the diaphragm spring end for wear and uneven height. Replace if wear is evident or height difference exceeds the limit.

Limit: 0.5 mm (0.012 inch)

1. Check the pressure plate surface for wear, cracks and color change.
  2. Check the rivets for looseness and replace the clutch cover assembly if necessary.

CLUTCH DISC

1. Check the clutch facing for loose rivets, uneven contact, deterioration due to seizure, adhesion of oil, or grease, and replace the clutch disc if defective.

1. Measure the rivet sink and replace the clutch disc if it is out of specification. Limit: 1.1 mm (0.044 inch)
  2. Check for torsion spring play and damage and if defective, replace the clutch disc.
  3. Clean the splines on the input shaft and install the clutch disc. If the disc does not slide smoothly or if play is excessive, replace the clutch disc and/or the input shaft.

CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING

CAUTION: The release bearing is packed with grease. Do not use cleaning solvent or oil.

1. Check the bearing for seizure, damage or abnormal noise. Also check the diaphragm spring contacting points for wear.
  2. Replace the bearing if the release fork contacting points are worn abnormally.

CLUTCH RELEASE FORK
If there is abnormal wear at the point of contact with the bearing, replace the release fork assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Apply multipurpose grease to the release bearing contact surfaces and the release cylinder contact surface of the clutch release fork assembly

CAUTION: When installing the clutch, apply grease to each part, but be careful not to apply excessive grease. It can cause clutch slippage and judder.

1. Apply multipurpose grease into the groove of the release bearing. Grease: CASMOLY L9508

1. Apply multipurpose grease to the clutch release lever fulcrum contact surface of the clutch release fork assembly Grease: CASMOLY L9508
  2. Clean the surfaces of the flywheel and pressure plate thoroughly with fine sandpaper or crocus cloth, and make certain that all oil or grease has been removed.
  3. Apply a small amount of multipurpose grease to the clutch disc splines and input shaft splines. Grease: CASMOLY L9508

CAUTION: Do not apply more grease than necessary. Too much grease could cause clutch slip or Judder.

1. Using the special tool (09411-25000), install the clutch disc to the flywheel. When installing the clutch disc, be sure that the surface having the manufactures stamp is towards the pressure plate side.
  2. Install the the clutch cover assembly onto the flywheel and install the six (6) bolts through the clutch cover into the flywheel.
  3. Diagonally tighten the bolts 15 - 22 Nm (150 - 220 kg.cm, 11 - 15 ft. lbs.). Tighten the bolts by one or two turns at a time, in succession, to avoid bending the cover flange.
  4. Remove the special tool.
  5. Install the transaxle.
  6. Adjust the clutch pedal free-play.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
our issue is with removing the trans from the bell housing. all the bolts holding the trans to the block have been removed, and we have gotten the trans about an inch off the bell housing, but something seems to be keeping us from pulling the trans the rest of the way off the bell housing. (we are past the dow pins) any ideas?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
THis might help you. Here is the procedure from alldata.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the battery terminal. ("-", "+")

1. Remove the heat shield(A). (Bolt: 1EA(B), Retainer: 3EA(C))

1. Remove the battery and the battery tray(C).
  2. Removal of air cleaner and air intake hose.
  1. Disconnect the air flow sensor connector(A) and breather hose(B).

1. Air cleaner upper cover (C) and air intake hose(D).

1. Air cleaner lower(A) (Bolt: 3EA(B)).

1. Disconnect the backup lamp switch connector(A).

1. Remove the cotter pin(A) of the clutch release cylinder(B).

1. Remove the clutch release cylinder mounting bolts(A).

1. Remove the cotter pin(A) of the shift and selector cable.

1. Remove the clip(A) of the shift and selector cable.

1. Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor connector(A).

1. Remove the start motor mounting bolts and the transaxle mounting to the engine bolts(A).

1. Attach to the engine hooks using special tool (09200-38001).
  2. Remove the transaxle-mounting bracket.

1. Body mounting bolts(A) (Upper side)

1. Insulator bolt(A).

1. Body mounting bolts(A) (Left side)
  1. Lift up the vehicle.
  2. Remove the front tire.

1. Remove the drain plug(A) and drain the transaxle gear oil.
  2. Disconnect the tie rod end, wheel speed sensor, knuckle, caliper and drive shaft.

1. Remove the gear box u-joint(A) mounting bolt.

1. Disconnect the oxygen sensor connector(A).

1. Remove the front muffler mounting nuts(A).
  2. Remove the front muffler to the center muffler mounting nuts. (2EA)
  3. Remove the front muffler bracket bolt and front muffler. (1EA)

1. Remove the drive shaft(A) from the transaxle(B).

1. Remove the power return hose(A) and drain the power steering oil.

1. Remove the front roll stopper-mounting bolt(A).

1. Remove the rear roll stopper-mounting bolt(A).

1. Install the jack(A) for supporting sub-frame.

1. Remove the sub frame(A).

1. Install the T/M jack(A).

1. Remove the transaxle lower mounting bolts(A).

1. Remove the transaxle assembly supporting by a jack.

NOTE: When supporting the transaxle assembly, make sure that the lifting force is applied to a wide area, not to a small localized area.

CAUTION:

• Engine and transaxle mounting insulators should be installed the specified them.
  • Mounting bracket installation procedures.
  • Engine mounting bracket
  • T/M mounting bracket.
  • Rear roll stopper mounting bracket
  • Front roll stopper mounting bracket.
  • Especially when installing front roll stopper mounting bracket, be careful not to be crushed the insulator. If being crushed, idle vibration is high.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay, how bout this. do you have any info on how to remove the release lever off of the fork shaft on the trans, or any thing on the Hyundai tech bull 03-40-011?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You mean the TSB?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You got it!

Here it is from alldata.

Group
40 - TRANSAXLE Number
03-40-011 Date
06-2003 Model
ELANTRA 1996-2003, SANTA
FE 2001-2003, SONATA 1996-2003
AND TIBURON 1997-2003 Subject
TRANSAXLE REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR THE PULL TYPE
CLUTCH SYSTEM

DESCRIPTION:

This bulletin provides a service procedure for the removal and installation of manual transaxles with the "pull" type clutch system.

"Pull" or "push" type clutch systems refer to the direction of operation to disengage the clutch relative to the flywheel. In a "pull" type clutch system, the release bearing is attached to the clutch cover fingers and "pulls" the clutch cover away from the clutch disc (away from the flywheel), disengaging the clutch.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:

All 1996 Model Year and newer vehicles equipped with manual transaxles except Accents which have the "push" type clutch system.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

1. Drain the transaxle gear oil.

2. The reference photo shows the clutch related components as viewed from outside the transaxle case.

3. Loosen the release lever nut and washer.

4. Separate the release lever by removing the snap pin and clevis pin.

5. Separate the release lever from the fork shaft.

6. Loosen the bolts attached to the release cylinder and separate the release cylinder from the transaxle assembly (no need to open the clutch hydraulic system).
7. Remove the transaxle assembly after removing each bolt attached to the engine assembly.
8. Remove the clutch cover assembly. The release bearing is still attached.
9. To separate the release bearing from the clutch cover, rotate the release bearing to gain access to the bearing snap ring.

10. Insert the snap ring pliers under the wave washer to release the bearing.
11. Replace the clutch components as necessary by following the steps in the appropriate Shop Manuals. NOTE Do not attach the new release bearing to the clutch cover.

12. Install the release bearing on the fork as shown.
13. Attach the clutch cover without the release bearing to the flywheel while the clutch disc is aligned using the clutch disc guide tool (refer to the appropriate Shop Manuals for the clutch disc guide tool part number).
14. Attach the transaxle assembly to the engine assembly. NOTE Make sure not to apply any side loads to the clutch components.
15. Install the release lever on the release fork shaft by aligning notches (release lever attaches only one way on the shaft).
16. After completing step 15, pull the release lever to engage the release bearing into the clutch cover fingers. If there is a click sound, the release bearing and the clutch cover are aligned correctly. If the assembly does not click and snap into place, the release bearing and the clutch cover are not aligned correctly. Repeat steps 13, 14 and 15. NOTE Do not apply excessive force on the release lever to engage the release bearing.
17. Reconnect all removed components in the reverse order of removal.
18. Add the specified amount and type of oil into the filler hole (refer to the applicable Shop Manuals for this information).