Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years

2003 Hyundai Accent: car wont start..5 Speed Manual, 1.6 Liter DOHC

My car won't start. It is a 2003 Hyundai Accent, 5 Speed Manual, 1.6 Liter DOHC 16v. It tries to kick over, but it doesn't do so. What could be wrong?

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

check for battery voltage to the black wire at the fuel injectors with the key on

do you have battery voltage?

does the engine light come on for a couple seconds for the BULB CHECK when you first turn the key on?

let me know and I can further help you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to borrow a multimeter tomorrow to answer the first two questions.

As for the "Check Engine" light, it has not been on, and does not turn on.

ok well it is normal for the Engine Light to come on when you first turn the key on.

this is the bulb test.. if this does not happen then you are probably loosing power to the

there are a lot of fuses and relays you need to check

check fuse #5 and fuse #2 in the left kick panel fuse panel you should have power to both sides of these fuses with key on.

also check both the ECU fuses under the hood

click here for the fuse locations

let me know what you find.

also you can use a test light or meter to continue

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. I will do that with my friend's testers tomorrow. I thank you for what you have done so far. I await to check these and hear your response.

Ok I will be around after noon time eastern tomorrow

I will wait for your reply

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

I have a steady 12.5V reading for the battery.
I checked the fuses for the three ECU slots on the Relay Panel (Under the Hood) and the #2 and #5 slots on the kick panel. All of the fuses are good.
I hooked a multimeter to check the two kick panel fuses, which I have a reading of 12V for both sides.
I also have a 12V reading for both sides of E.C.U.3 fuse on the Relay Panel; however, I have no reading for E.C.U.1
nor E.C.U.2.
I also put the multimeter into the black wire prong (instead of splicing the black wire) to the fuel injector
harness, I have no power reading to them. I do have a 3.43V reading on the other prong.

I have to go to work, now, but I can perform more tests as needed when I get off later tonight. (Roughly 9pm EST. I live in MD.)

there is a 20 amp fusable link that powers the ECU fuses... it seems this fuse link is blown

it shows the Link in the udnerhood fuse panel in the diagram but I have no picture of its exact location

the fuse link powers pin #5 of the (E48 Joint connector in the diagram)

PIN #5 should have power... from there PIN #7 and #8 get power of the E48 JOINT CONNECTOR

if PIN #5 has no power run a jumper wire from battery positive to PIN #5 see if the car runs

if so you need to locate the 20 amp ECU fuse link it feeds PIN#5 of the Joint connector but I do not have an image of its exact location

let me know what you find and if you need more help

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let me see if I have an understanding of this. If I check the #7 and #8 fuse connections on the kick panel, and I don't have a reading with the multimeter, then chances are my 20A fusible link is blown.

Am I correct in this?

no not fuse #7 and #8

these are pins 7 and 8 of the E48 connector

on the side of the underhood fuse panel.. everything you are testing is in that underhood panel

here is the image of the connector to the side of the panel where you will be checking for the power

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took a look and pins 5 through 8 all run together on one jumper.

I also saw that there are no jumpers for pins 21 through 24.

I have 12V of power going through the pin 5 through 8 jumper.

The ECU2 fuse is energized by the engine control relay inside the car

the Computer grounds the relay to energize the ECU fuse.

if you unplug the relay you should have power on the 2 pinks

if you ground the Gray/Orange with the relay plugged in this should energize the relay and allow the car to start... if so the computer is not grounding the relay...

if you have power to both pinks and grounding the relay does not allow the car to start the relay may be bad

jumper one of the pinks to the Black Wire and the other pink to the green if the car runs replace the relay

click here for the wiring diagram

click here for the relay location

Edited by PaulM ASE Master Tech Hyundai Tech on 11/6/2010 at 7:10 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if I just replaced the relay to test if it is bad. Could that bypass all the "splicing and jumping"?

At the very least, if the replacement doesn't fix it, I could try to return it and then continue with the diagnostics.

you would not need to splice anything just removing the relay and jumping

just verify you have power to 2 of the pins when you unplug the relay

the computer grounds the relay

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I jumped the wires accordingly, and the car fired right up.

Is there any risk of shock when replacing the relay? I noticed two black wires connected to the relay's base. I'm assuming they're the grounds and wires to energize the two fuses in the engine relay.

Also, is it safe to drive about 5 miles with my car wired without a relay, or should I just borrow someone else's car to get the part I need?

dont forget jumping the wires does not guarantee the relay is the problem

you could also have a problem with the gray/orange ground signal from the computer

you could start with a relay.

you could drive it with the wires jumped as long as they are the same thickness as the existing relay wires.. also be sure they will not touch any metal or ground

remember to click accept so I get credit for my answer

postive feedback is also appreciated

let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The relay looked a little worn, and there is a bit of corrosion on the part of the harness that connects to the relay. I'm certain this could be the case. There was a bit of a leaking problem on the windshield that allowed a trickle of water down near the fuse panel. I sealed the window and never had the leak, so I thought problem solved. I guess the water finally got to the ECU relay, of which I never knew was located there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, I replaced the relay. I hear the fuel pump turn on, yet the car still won't start. I went back and I now have slight power flowing to the two E.C.U. fuses on the engine compartment panel. I then connected a grounding wire to the harness of the relay. I have a steady flow of power to the two E.C.U. fuses, but my car still won't start. And it feels as if the car is getting weaker with every attempt. At one point, the odometer and tripmeter faded out and then came back. I still have a steady 12.5 volts in the battery.

when you apply ground to the relay your doing it on the gray/orange correct?

unplug the relay turn the key on.

do you have 12.5 volts to 2 pink wires?

what is your voltage reading at the ECU fuses?

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I connected the ground to the Gray/Orange section of the harness. I have a steady 11.8V to both Pink wires.

what is the reading on the ECU fuses? you say it had low power?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
.01V for E.C.U. 1 and E.C.U. 2, E.C.U. 3 is still at 12V

..01 at ecu1 with key on? and relay grounded?

the green wire at the relay feeds the ECU1 fuse

do you have battery voltage at the green wire?

also you should have batter voltage to the pinks not 11.8 .. if battery voltage is 12.5 it should be at least 12.3 .. this indicated a poor connection somewhere

please tell be:

voltage at battery -

voltage at E48 connector pins 5,7,8

voltage at pinks to relay -

voltage at green coming out of relay with key on -

let me know these values please

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have the relay disconnected to check the wires and the key turned to on for all the tests.

Voltage to both pinks: 11.8V each
Voltage on Green: sometimes 0V sometimes 3.3V
Voltage to E48 connector: 11.8V
Voltage of Battery: 11.8V

ok you need to plug the relay in and check voltage on the green with key on.

if the green has voltage with key on (relay connected) then you should have power to the ECU1 fuse... the green from the relay powers this fuse.

your computer may not be getting enough voltage to run the car with only 11.8 in the battery put the battery on a slow charger. considering you had the car running before... it appears the low battery voltage is a major factor in why you are no longer running.

either put the battery on a charger or hook up cables from another car and let it charge for an hour or so.

let me know on the green with the relay plugged in also... and the ECU1 with relay plugged in key on.

do not try starting it again until you get your battery voltage back above 12.5

is your battery new?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Battery isn't new. It's been in the car since I bought it a little over 8 months ago.

the computer can not function on 11.8 volts

recharge the battery

and then test the voltage coming out of the relay on the green (relay plugged in)

and the ECU1 fuse again with key on relay in

do not perform these tests until you have at least 12.5 or more in the battery

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, when I reconnected the relay, I heard it "click", and it randomly clicked on slight movement too. I pulled the grounding wire I connected and the clicking stopped. I also have 11.8V to all wires without my grounding wire and .8V to the ground alone.

I will further your diagnostic test after I give my car a trickle charge. But do you think that my Gray/Orange ground is ok with this information, or should I reconnect my makeshift ground?

sounds like you are ok

low battery voltage can cause all the problems you are currently having

you can not test the ground or relay with battery voltage being so low

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A jump did it. I guess when I've been using the battery to do the tests, it wasn't getting recharged from the Alternator. Thanks for everything. Even the post check.

On a different topic, my friend noticed that I didn't need to push my clutch in to start the car, is it no big deal or should I get that checked out?

its only a big deal of you start the car in gear

this means the clutch switch is bypassed

as long as you dont try to start the car while it is in gear and without pushing in the clutch it is not a big deal.

it will just cause the car to jump if you do this

thank you for using Just Answer