George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

2002 Hyundai Accent GL: electrical..Faulty..module faultyi..canister

Customer Question

Got a P1401 code on my 2002 Hyundai Accent GL - DMTL failure with probable cause:
1 - open or short circuit condition
2- poor electrical connection
3 - Faulty DMTL - module faulty

I recently got the fuel charcoal canister, etc replaced ($900). What is the problem and is it related to the repairs I had done?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Let me check what I am reading,

1) You had the canister replaced for $900

2) You now have a code P1401 for the DMTL

Is this correct?

Why was the canister replaced and was the DMTL replaced at the same time? (The DMTL is mounted on the side of the canister)

Let me know the circumstances and I will help you get to the bottom of this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there was more than the canister replaced but that was the main part of the problem. the symptom we had (prior to canister replacement) was the gas pump would automatically shut off constantly during fill-up.

Basically - yes you've got it correct.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

OK what happened is that the charcoal in the canister came out of the bags that hold it and clogged the air passages so the tank could not vent while you were filling it. When the canister was replaced the passages need to be cleaned of this loose carbon or it will migrate throughout the EVAP system.

The DMTL has a tiny orifice and a pump that the current to run the pump is monitored as it blows through the orifice. Once the EVAP system is sealed the pump runs and if the current to run it is less than what it was to pump through the orifice then there must be a leak in the system larger than the orifice.

With the loose carbon it has gotten into the DTML which is on the side of the canister and clogged the orifice so it cannot produce a good baseline current reading.

I would see if the shop that replaced the canister will try to clean the DTML and the system of the charcoal for no cost but if cleaning does not work (it is hard to clean the DTML) then the DTML will have to be replaced after the rest of the hoses and valves are cleaned of the carbon

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks - very helpful
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Glad to help and please let me know what I can do for you in the future

Thanks for using JA!!