George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

How do I change out an idler pulley on a 2007 Hyundai Sonata

Customer Question

How do I change out an idler pulley on a 2007 Hyundai Sonata? Where do I get a belt diagram for the serpentine bell on this car?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Click here for the routing

Which pulley are you changing?

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Please furish the steps in replacing the idler pulley?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

It is the idler not the idler on the tensioner you are replacing?

Click here

Remove the belt

Remove the plastic cone shaped cover on the idler

Remove the center bolt of the pulley (This has a washer so observe where it is located)

Install new pulley

Can I ask why you are replacing this pulley? Is the bearing noisy?

Edited by George H on 9/18/2010 at 6:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. Very noisy. Was just a loud whistling sound but now has started to have a rattling sound to it.

How do I loosen the tension on the belt?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I loosen the bolt at the base of the tensioner pulley to allow it to move or does it swivel without having to touch the bolt?

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The tensioner is moved by the center bolt on the pulley, install a wrench to the pulley and twist in a clockwise direction to move the tensioner until you can remove the belt from one pulley

You do not have to remove the mounting bolts

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, the tensioner has a cast in nut that you use a socket and bar to compress the hydraulic cylinder to move the pulley away from the belt. The description I gave you was for the previous tensioner.

I am sorry if I caused any confusion