George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years

2006 elantra: keyless remote..keys..I unlock the door the alarm goes

I lost my keyless remote for my 2006 elantra. I have two ignition keys, but if I unlock the door the alarm goes off and I can't start the car.

Is there a solution?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Unlock the drivers door, insert the key in the ignition and turn the key to the run position. Wait 30 seconds while the alarm makes your neighbors take notice and the alarm will time out and you can cycle the key and the alarm will be set to valet mode.

If the battery power is removed in valet mode you will have to do the 30 second time out again. To have new remotes added to the system will require a factory level scantool to put the reciever in the program mode. The dealr will charge 1/2 to 1 hour to do this but if you purchase the remotes from them they may throw in the programming.

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's weird because the key doesn't open the drivers door. Only the passenger door. Not sure if that matters.

So your saying turn the key and leave it turned for 30 seconds. Then the alarm should be deactivated and I will be able to start the engine?

Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

It is not really important that the key open the door only that it turns the ignition.

After thirty seconds of the alarm sounding the alarm will set to valet mode and your ignition/alarm will operate normally. It is a very long thirty seconds if you have nieghbors though!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Got it.

So it can be done without the keyless remote? I've been told by multiple dealerships that I need to have it towed in.

I understand I will have to buy a new remote and have it programmed, but I would like to avoid the tow.

Thank you.

Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Just turn the ignition on for thirty seconds and the vehicle should be in valet mode for you