Cardoctor74
Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE Technician
3827149

2002 hyundai santa fe: knocking sound..sound in the engine..power

knocking sound in the engine of 2002 hyundai santa fe 2.4L. along with a decrease in power. chechk engine code diagnosed as PO300 multiple cylinder misfire, was told it may be the coil packs; changed coils, plugs and wires with zero change. Ran a compression check and all cylinders came up over 150 PSI; drained the oil and found no metal in the oil, there was a slight metalic look when I toot it out into the sun and stirred it but no pieces of metal; and the timming marks checked out to be TDC. After changing the oil and starting the engine the knock was quite loud until the oil pressure was restored ( maybe 3 seconds) after that the enging will idle with little to no noise. Rev the engine and the clatter increases. My brother thought it may be the cam sensor so he unplugged it and nothnig happened, plugging it back in and the engine died, Why would this hapopen? Where do I need to go next to solve the knocking issue?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Cardoctor74 replied 4 years ago.
OK sounds like a rod bearing is bad.You need to drain the oil through a strainer to see if there is any metal debris in the oil.If its a lower end knock its most likely a rod bearing thats bad and possibly scored the crank shaft.If that was the case you would need a motor.This would be the next step.It stalled because the ECM lost the signal thats all.If this is a lower end knock not a good thing to have .Also is oil pressure ok?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oil pressure is good. drained the oil through cheese cloth and found no metal. Is there a procedure to check the rod bearings? How does the rod bearing effect the lack of power? Can I remove the oil pan and look at the rods or do I need to just look at obtaining a new engine or is rebuilding an option?
OK if crank and cam timing marks were right on and compression is good then I would remove the valve cover and pan to see if there is any signs of bearing material .This would be the next step .If there are signs of loose metal then you will need to repalce the block.This is the next step.Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I remover the valve cover already and I did see some metalic looking (finer then sand) substance on top of the engine. If I pull the pan can I see the rod bearings or see if one is gone?
Yes I would do that since there is signs of metal up top .This can be from the bearing worn out.This needs to be checked next .Make sure you turn the motor over by hand at the crank pulley and check each bearing with a flash light .If there is any moving and chunks of bearing it will need a motor.ALso make sure the oil pick up is not clogged.These are the next steps.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If a rod bearing is bad will I be able to tell that it is? If so what will the signs be?
Yes the bearing will move when turning the motor over and it will be very shinny and the rod will move back and fourth.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

why would this cause the loss of power?

Because it can through off timing and there also can be a valve issue .I would do a cylinder leak down test also to make sure there are no burnt or slightly bent valves.The knock is not good usually engine or valve damage if timing is good.I would start here next.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did check the timming when it was running and it seemed to be arounf 15 degrees before TDC. Where is the timming suppose to be at?
Ok you need to phsically check the timing marks crank and cam to see if its lined up.Could of jumped time .

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

marks lined up.

Ok then in has to be a valve issue or rod bearing issue .I would remove the pan next.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will remove the pan and see what is there. what is down there. If it is a bent valve am I looking at a new engine also?

No just a new head if it's a bent valve. Under the pan is the crank and oil pick up male sure that's not clogged and then you can see rod bearings.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So to check the valves I need the pressure leak down testing equiptment?
Yes correct .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So a bent valve does not effect the compression when tested? i am lost on this one.
It all depends on the compression stroke bent yes will affect compression. Burnt alot of times when the cylinder leak down test is done it will show it does not hold pressure and leaks out into the exhaust.A burnt valve will cause the misfire also.I would check all these out.

Hoped this helped.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it did look as if the exhaust manifold had been extremely hot, color change was at where all 4 pipes come together, hot enough that the color was a blueish gray while the rest was the reddish normal color. Same on the cat converter. Does this mean anything or is normal?
No thats not normal could be a exhaust valve issue or catalytic converter issue also.You may have more then on issue with this vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if looking for an engine (I am on the west coast) where do you reccomend getting one?

I would prefer rebuilt or new, do not really want to go with a u-pull it unless it was a very reliable source

I have used this place numerous times they have decent prices and ship right to you or shop.

ClickHere

Hoped this helped.

Cardoctor74, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master ASE Technician