George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra station wagon.The airbag light

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra station wagon.The airbag light is on I replaced the temp. gauge on the dash.Everything works.How do you reset the airbag light to go off?Isn't there a backup battery?Where is that located?Any better way to reset?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Was the airbag light on before you changed out the temp gauge?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Is the cluster the only work you did from the time the light was not on to the time the light was on?

Did you disconnect the battery before you pulled the cluster?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.
I need a more than a no to be able to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't disconnect the battery when I worked on the gauge.I disconnected the instrument
gauge connector while I worked on it.Could this be the cause of it?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

It could be but if you are sure that there is no wiring pinched pull fuse #10 from the under dash fuse block and see if the light goes out. If it does there is a code stored in the airbag computer so you would need a Hyundai scanttol to read the code and then what the code was flagged for diagnosed and repaired.

Does the horn work?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to check #10 fuse if the air bag light goes out.And yes the horn does honk.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

OK if the hoirn works then it is not likely the clockspring connector at the base of the steering wheel. This connector also keeps the airbag powered when you turn the wheel.

If the light comes back on after you remove and repalce the fuse then there is a code stored that has to be investigated with a Hyundai scantool. If the light does not go out with the fuse removed and the key on there is a fault in the cluster and the light circuit is getting power from somewhere else.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any way to reset without going to the dealer?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

No the only way to clear codes is to read the code, repair the problem the clear the code with a scantool. As the airbag system is specific to Hyundai a HiScan pro, HDS system, Carman scan-lite scantool is needed to communicate with the airbag module.

The low volume of these vehicles means that most shops will not have one of these scantools as they are 3 - 6K each. Any dealer will be able to pull the code and let you know what component has failed or where the wiring fault is.

Sorry

Let me know what I can do to help

Thnaks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
even if everything ok you need the dealer scan tool to reset?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If everyting is OK the airbag system does a system check every time you turn the key on. It blinks the light six times and that is an "all is good" signal then turns the light out.

If the light is on and there is not a wiring fault there is a fault that needs to be repaired in the airbag system

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You asked if the battery was disconnected when I worked on the gauge.If I disconnect the battery and disconnect the connector at gauge panel and reconnect the connector and battery again,do you think it will correct it?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.
I do not, I was wondering if you shorted the cluster or the connectors for the cluster when you pulled it. There is a possibility that the code that is set is for the warning light but without scanning the airbag computer there is no way to know. I am certain that there is a code set and you will need communication with the airbag computer to reset it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I going to the car and check my work,so I'll get back to later....thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

OK I will be here until 10 ET tonight

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I disconnected the #10 fuse and turned the key to the on position,but the air bag light stays on.I heard that if ground one of the wire at the air bag ecu below the center console it will reset.Is this true?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

No you cannot reset the airbag computer without reading and clearing the codes. It will set the code and turn the light on as soon as you turn the key to the run position. The computer runs a self check of the system everytime you start the car and if there is a fault it turns the light on and sets a code. You have to repair the fault to turn the light out.

If you pulled #10 fuse and the light stays on there is a fault in the cluster. The light gets its power from the fuse and the ground from the airbag computer so there has to be power supplied from another source.

Why did you take the cluster apart?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the temp gauge was bad,so I switched out the gauge off of ebay.Everything works,no other light stays on just the air bag light.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I just checked another source for wiring diagrams and try fuse #1 to turn the light off.

Edited by George H on 7/25/2010 at 1:57 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,I going to check that tomorrow......
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I changed the post above to have you check fuse #1 so I wanted to be sure you saw that.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,disconnect #1 fuse then key on the on position.I'll check that in morning and tell you if that goes off.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Ok i will watch for your post on that

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok,I pulled #1 fuse.The SRI light does not come on at all.That's normal,right?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

That is normal and shows that the light is not being fed from any other source so you are back to the airbag module having a code stored and is turning the light on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You never saw a temp. gauge go bad.Replaced it from a different model cluster,but It's working now.Could it be the SRI light stays on because it's from a different model?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Did you replace the entire cluster or the temp gauge?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just unscrewed the three screws and pulled just the temp. gauge.So, the rest is the original panel.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Ok then you can check pin #9 (brown/black wire) at the airbag computer under the console for ground when you turn the key to run. If ground is being provided by the computer there is a code stored and you will have to have the code read and the repair made to have the light turn out after the airbag computer goes through its self check

Click here for connector

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took the car to this Korean mechanic and said that there were some codes(probably because I disconnected the connectors).When I went home the SRI light went out.Could this be that the SRSCM couldn't reset itself for some reason?
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

If he read the codes in the airbag moduel he likely cleared them at teh same time to see what reset so once the low voltage code was cleared and the self test ran the code would not reset because there was no more low voltage.

Next time remove the negative cable of the battery and wait two minutes before unplugging anything else

George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience: Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years