Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 hyundai sonata: timing belt..4cyl..all marks are lined up..hub

Customer Question

Hi , I am a mechanic for Ford in Australia and have just had to do a timing belt and balance belt on a 2000 Hyundia Sonata 16valve 4cyl . I had put the two belts on and all marks are lined up apart from my balancer mark as it looks like it has slipped on the hub.

I have checked it over and over again but the engine sounds like its valve timing is out and sounds advanced . It will not run down low and is popping through the throttle body so i shut it down before i bent some valves . I have pulled off the front cover and makes line up on cams/crank , the balance shaft looks right but the oil pump sprocket is not lining up and i wouldn't think it should as its a smaller pulley than the rest .

Can you just go through what you need to do for valve timing and balance shaft and why has the oil pump got timing marks and why does it need to be timed ???

Regards XXXXX
Queensland Australia
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Here are pictures of all the timing marks.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not really any help , I have what you sent me and need to know how to set the balance shaft up again . I have set it up with all the marks lined up and still not right .

I keep reading about a plug you need to take out to line the oil pump gear up , is this a must as i am not having a problem lining up the marks on the oil pump but something is still not right .

Regards

Mario

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Mario,

Now this makes sense...

GIve me a little bit and I will try and get you the information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Amedee , Thank you . Any help would be welcome . The engine runs ok but the balance shafts are not right , It runs very rough at idle and I have taken it apart , check and rechecked it many times and can't see what i am doing wrong as it all lines up apart from when they say to use a screw drive to line the oil pump gears up .I thought this may have been just to help keep the gear still when putting the belt on but MUST have something to do with it .

Regards

Mario Lentini

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Mario,

So let me ask you this... what are you using to guide you through this repair? Alldata, Mitchell, Autodata..etc? I can get you some info but I don't know what you already have and what you are using.

WHat does it say and how does it say to do it? DOes it say just to use a screw driver and put it in the side of the block when the oil pump marks are lined up?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi , I am using what i have found on the Internet and all say the same thing . It tells you to pull the plug out of the left hand side of the engine block and push an 8mm screw driver into the hold about 60mm to line up the counter weight , MY problem is i can't get the plugs out of the block and have tried to set the gear up by lining the marks up and if no good I would do a 360deg turn and set it up again , again the same with the oil pump bear . Thing is the oil pump is 1.5:1 geared and the balance shaft i think is 2;1 .

I find that every 3 turns i think i can get all the marks to line up again . WHat i have done is line it all up , start the car if no good , set it back up so marks are lined up again and then turn the oil pump gear one turn and try again . I think i have taken the gears off and belts off about 50 times now and still have the harmonics going through it . The thing is I don't know if its both of them out or just one as i can't get the plugs off . If there is some other way PLEASE PLEASE let me know .

Regards

Mario

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok.. well this is what I got... it is from alldata. If you need pictures to go along with the text, just let me know!

REMOVAL

Remove the crankshaft pulley, engine coolant pump pulley and drive belt.
Remove the timing belt cover.

Turn the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing marks so as to bring the No. 1 cylinder to compression top-dead-center position. At this time the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket and the upper surface of the rocker cover should coincide, and the dowel pin of the camshaft sprocket should be at the upper side. Remove the auto tensioner. CAUTION: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise.

Remove the timing belt. NOTE: If the timing belt is reused, make an arrow mark indicating the turning direction (or the front of the engine) to make sure that the belt is reinstalled in the same direction as before.

Remove the camshaft sprockets. NOTE: Be careful not to damage the cylinder head with the wrench.

When the oil pump sprocket nut is removed, first remove the plug at left side of the cylinder block and insert a screwdriver to check the left counter balance shaft in position. Screwdriver used for this purpose should have a shaft 8 mm (0.3 inch) in diameter which can be inserted more than 60 mm (2.36 inch)
Remove the oil pump sprocket retaining nut and remove the oil pump sprocket.

Loosen the right counter balance shaft sprocket mounting bolt until it can be loosened by hand.
Next, remove tensioner "B" and remove timing belt "B". CAUTION: After timing belt "B" has been removed, do not attempt to loosen bolt while holding sprocket with pliers, etc.
Remove the crankshaft sprocket "B" from crankshaft.
INSPECTION
Sprockets, Tensioner Pulley, and Idler Pulley

Check the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley for abnormal wear, cracks, or damage. Replace as necessary.

Inspect the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley for easy and smooth pulley rotation and check for play or noise. Replace as necessary.
Replace if there is grease leak. Auto Tensioner

Check the auto tensioner for leak and replace as necessary.
Check the rod end for wear or damage and replace as necessary.

Measure the rod protrusion. If it is out of specification, replace the auto tensioner. Standard value: 14 mm (0.55 inch)

Using a vise soft jaws push the auto tensioner rod. If the rod can be easily retracted, replace the auto tensioner. You should feel big resistance when pushing the rod in. CAUTION: Clamp the auto tensioner in the vise so that it can be level. Use soft jaws in the vise to avoid damaging the auto tensioner. Timing Belt

Check the belt for oil or dust deposits. Replace if necessary. Small deposits should be wiped away with a dry cloth or paper. Do not clean with solvent.

When the engine is overhauled or belt tension adjusted, check the belt in detail. If the following flaws are evident, replace the belt with a new one.
INSTALLATION

Install crankshaft sprocket "B" into crankshaft. CAUTION: Pay special attention to the direction of the flange. If it is installed in the wrong direction, a broken belt could result from it.

Lightly apply engine oil to the outer surface of spacer, and then install the spacer to the right counter balance shaft. Be sure to install as the direction shown in illustration.
Install the counter balance shaft sprocket onto the right counter balance shaft, and then tighten flange bolt by hand tightly.

Align the timing mark on each sprocket with the corresponding timing mark on the front case.

When the timing belt "B" is installed, make certain that tension side has no slack. Install tensioner "B" in the center of pulley located on the left side of mounting bolt and in the pulley flange directed toward front of engine. Align the timing mark on the right counter balance shaft sprocket with the timing mark on the front case.

Lift tensioner "B" to tighten the timing belt "B" so that its tension side will be pulled tight. In this condition, tighten a bolt to secure tensioner "B". When a bolt is tightened, be careful to prevent from turning together. If the shaft is turned together, the belt will be overtightened.
Check to ensure that timing marks are in alignment.

Check to ensure that when the center of span on the tension side is depressed with index finger in direction of arrow, deflection of belt is within specification. Belt deflection: 5 - 7 mm (0.2 - 0.3 inch)

Install the flange and crankshaft sprocket onto crankshaft. Be sure to install as the direction shown in illustration. CAUTION: Pay attention to direction of flange. If it is installed in wrong direction, a broken belt could result.
Install the special washer and sprocket bolt to crankshaft, and then tighten the sprocket bolt. Tightening torque Crankshaft sprocket bolt: 110 - 130 Nm (1100 - 1300 kgf-cm, 80 - 94 ft. lbs.)

Insert a screwdriver through the plug hole in left side of cylinder block to keep shaft in position.

Install the oil pump sprocket, and tighten the nut to the specified torque.

Install the camshaft sprocket and tighten the bolt to the specified torque. Tightening torque Camshaft sprocket bolt: 80 - 100 Nm (600 - 1000 kgf-cm, 56 - 72 ft. lbs.)

Install the auto tensioner. CAUTION: Leave the set pin installed in the auto tensioner

NOTE:
If the auto tensioner rod is in its fully extended position, reset it as follows.

1) Clamp it in the vise with soft jaws in a level position.
Apply a plain washer if there is a plug at the bottom of the auto tensioner.
2) Push in the rod slowly with the vise until the set hole A in the rod is aligned with the set hole B in the cylinder.

Install the tensioner pulley onto the tensioner arm. CAUTION: Leave the wire installed in the auto tensioner.

After installing the crankshaft sensor, set the timing mark of sprocket correctly. NOTE:
Before installing the timing belt, If the timing mark of cam sprocket doesn't coincide with that of rocker cover, do not rotate the cam sprocket more than 2 teeth of sprocket in any direction. Rotating sprocket more than 2 teeth makes valve and piston touched each other.
In case of rotating the cam sprocket unavoidably more than 2 teeth, rotate the cam sprocket after rotating crank sprocket counter clock wise on basis of timing mark.

Align the crankshaft sprocket timing marks.
Align the oil pump sprocket timing marks.

Install the timing belt around the tensioner pulley and crankshaft sprocket. Then secure the timing belt onto the tensioner pulley with your left hand.
Pulling the belt with your right hand, install it around the oil pump sprocket.
Install the belt around the idler pulley.
Install it around the intake camshaft sprocket.
Turn the exhaust camshaft sprocket one tooth clockwise to align its timing mark with the cylinder head top surface [see illustration in step 16]. Then, pulling the belt with both hands, install it around the exhaust camshaft sprocket.
Gently raise the tensioner pulley as shown by the arrow so that the belt can't sag, and temporarily tighten the center bolt.
Check again whether the timing mark of each sprocket is correct or not.
Remove the fixed wire that is attached to auto tensioner.

Rotate the crankshaft two complete turns clockwise and leave it for about 15 minutes. Then, measure the auto tensioner protrusion "A" (distance between the tensioner arm and auto tensioner body) to ensure that it is up to specification. Standard value: 6 - 8 mm (0.15 - 0.18 inch)

Install the timing belt lower cover and the timing belt upper cover.

Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Car still has problems but have run out of time so will leave it at that for now , thanks for your help . Mario
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Mario,

Thanks for the accept!

Let me know if you have any further questions!