Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

How to adjust the timing for engine

how to adjust the timing for engine
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

There is no ignition timing adjustment for this vehicle. Ignition timing is controlled solely by the pcm(powertrain control module):

SONATA(EF) >2004 > G 2.4 DOHC > Engine Electrical System > Ignition System > Description and Operation
DESCRIPTION
Ignition timing is controlled by the electronic control ignition timing system. The standard reference ignition timing data for the engine operating conditions are pre-programmed in the memory of the ECM (engine control module). The engine operating conditions (speed, load, warm-up condition, etc.) are detected by the various sensors. Based on these sensor signals and the ignition timing data, signals to interrupt the primary current are sent to the ECM. The ignition coil is activated, and timing is controlled.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

DESCRIPTION

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please let me show the picture how to connect the timing bel in engine component
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

ok, thought you wanted on the ignition timing. below are directions for timing belt replacement with diagrams:

COMPONENTS

REMOVAL
Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and align the timing marks to set the No. 1 cylinder's piston to TDC. At this time, the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket and cylinder head cover should coincide with eachother and the dowel pin of the camshaftsprocket should be at the upper side.
1.Remove the crankshaft pulley, engine coolant pump pulley and drive belt.
2.Remove the timing belt cover.
3.Remove the auto tensioner.

If the timing belt is reused, make an arrow mark indicating the turning direction (or the front of the engine) to make sure that the belt is reinstalledin the same direction as before. In this case the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket and on the locker cover should be aligned and the dowell pins on the camshaft sprockets shouldbe positioned upward.
4.Remove the timing belt.

5.Remove the camshaft sprockets.
Be careful not to damage the cylinder head and camshaft sprocket with the wrench.

6.When the oil pump sprocket nut is removed, first remove the plug at the left side of the cylinder block and insert a screwdriver to keep the left counter balance shaft in position. Use a screwdriver with a shaft measuring 8 mm (0.3in.) in diameter which can be inserted by more than 60 mm (2.36 in.)
7.Remove the oil pump sprocket retaining nut and the oil pump sprocket.

8.Loosen the right counter balance shaft sprocket mounting bolt until it can be loosened by hand.
9.Next, remove the tensioner "B" and then the timing belt "B."
After the timing belt "B" is removed, do not attempt to loosen bolts while holding the sprocket with pliers or any other tool.
10.Remove the crankshaft sprocket "B" from the crankshaft.

INSTALLATION
1.Install the crankshaft sprocket "B" into the crankshaft.
Pay attention to the direction of the flange. If it is installed in the wrong direction, a broken belt could result.

2.Apply engine oil to the outer surface of the spacer lightly and then install the spacer to the right counter balance shaft. Be sure to installin the direction shown in the illustration.
3.Install the counter balance shaft sprocket onto the right counterbalance shaft and then tighten its flange bolt by hand tightly.

4.Align the timing mark on each sprocket with the corresponding timing mark on the front case.

5.When the timing belt "B" is installed, make certain that its tension side has no slack. Install the tensioner "B" so the center of the pulley is located on the left side of the mounting bolt and in the pulley flange faces the frontof the engine. Align the timing mark on the right counter balance shaft sprocket with the timing mark on the front case.

6.Lift the tensioner "B" to tighten the timing belt "B" so that its tension side is pulled tight. In this condition, tighten the bolt to secure tensioner "B". As the bolt is tightened, be careful to prevent the shaft fromturning. If the shaft is turned, the belt will be tightened excessively.

7.Check to ensure that the timing marks are in alignment.
8.Verify the tension of the timing belt. Method 1 : Verify that, when the center of the span on the tension side is depressed with an index finger in the direction of arrow, the deflectionof the belt is within specification.

Belt deflection : 5 ~ 7 mm (0.20 ~ 0.28 in)
Method 2 : Measure the tension of the timing belt by using a tension gaugent.
Span lengthPressureTorque
139mm (5.47 in.)0.42 kg/cm² (42 kPa)50 ~ 100Nm (500 ~ 1000kg.cm, 36 ~ 72 lb.ft)

9.Install the flange and crankshaft sprocket onto the crankshaft. Be sure to install the as shown in the illustration.

10.Install the special washer and sprocket bolt to the crankshaft and then tighten the sprocket bolt.

Tightening torque Crankshaft sprocket bolt : 160 ~ 170 Nm (1600 ~ 1700 kg.cm, 116 ~ 123 lb.ft)
11.Insert a screwdriver through the plug hole in the left side of the cylinder block to keep the shaft in position.

12.Install the oil pump sprocket and tighten the nut to the specified torque.

Tightening torque Oil pump sprocket 50 ~ 60 Nm (500 ~ 600 kg.cm, 36 ~ 43 lb.ft)
13.Install the camshaft sprocket and tighten the bolt to the specified torque.

Tightening torque Camshaft sprocket bolt : 80 ~ 100 Nm (800 ~ 1000 kg.cm, 58 ~ 72 lb.ft)
14.Install the auto tensioner.
Leave the set pin installed in the auto tensioner.

If the auto tensioner rod is in its fully extended position, reset it as follows.
1.Clamp it in a vise equipped with soft jaws, in a level position. Use a plain washer if there is a plug at the bottom of the auto tensioner.
2.Compress the rod slowly with the vise until the set hole in the rod is aligned with set hole in the cylinder.

3.Insert a set pin through the auto tensioner body and rod.
15.Install the tensioner pulley onto the tensioner arm.

Tightening torque Tensioner pulley 43 ~ 55 N.m (430 ~ 550 kg.cm, 31 ~ 40 lb.ft)

16.Rotate the camshaft sprockets so that the dowel pin of the camshaft sprocket is at the upper side. Set the timing mark of sprocket correctly.
1.Before installing the timing belt, if the timing mark of the camsprocket doesn't coincide with that of the rocker cover, do not rotate the cam sprocketmore than 2 teeth of the sprocket in any direction. Rotating the sprocket more than 2 teeth may make the valve and piston touch each other.
2.If it is necessary to rotate the cam sprocket more than 2 teeth, rotate the crank sprocket counter clock wise first based on the timing mark. After the camsprocket is properly timed return the crankshaft to TDC.

3.When exhaust and intake camshaft sprocket is used and install it after checking I.D mark depending on the engine deplacemeat.

17.Align the timing mark on each sprocket with the corresponding timing mark and install the belt as the following order. Crankshaft sprocket - Oil pump sprocket - ldler pulley - Exhaust camshaft sprocket - Intake camshaft sprocket -Tensioner pulley

1.Be sure that the piston of NO.1 cylinder is located in TDC position (Compression storke).
2.When aligning the timing mark on oil pump sprocket, remove the letf plug of cylinder block, and then check that the count balance shaft is in the specified position by inserting the screwdriver (Diameter : 8mm, insertinglength : 60mm or more)

3.After checking the timing mark, install the lift plug of cylinder block. Tightening torque : 2.7 - 3.4 kgf.m (Apply the liquid gasket : THREE BOND NO.1212B or equivalent)
18.Pull out the set pin.
19.Rotate the crankshaft two turns clockwise and leave it for about 5 minutes. Then, measure the auto tensioner protrusion "A" (Distance between the tensioner arm and auto tensioner body) to ensure that it is within thespecification.

Standard value : 5.5-9 mm (0.22 - 0.35 in)

20.Install the timing belt lower cover and the timing belt upper cover.

INSPECTION
Sprockets, Tensioner Pulley and Idler Pulley
1.Check the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket, tensioner pulley and idler pulley for abnormal wear, cracks or damage. Replace if necessary.
2.Inspect the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley for easy and smooth rotation and check for play or noise. Replace if necessary.
3.Replace the pulley if there is a grease leak from its bearing.

Auto Tensioner
1.Check the auto tensioner for leaking and replace if necessary.
2.Check the rod end for wear or damage and replace if necessary.

3.Measure the rod protrusion. If it is out of specification, replace the auto tensioner.

Standard value : 14.5 mm (0.57 in)

4.Using a soft jaw vise , compress the auto tensioner rod. slowly. If the rod can be easily retracted, replace the auto tensioner. You should feel extensive resistance when pushing the rod in. And it must be compressedin sereral steps.
Clamp the auto tensioner in the vise so that it is level. Use soft jaws in the vise to avoid damaging the auto tensioner.

Timing Belt
1.Check the belt for oil or dust deposit. Replace if necessary. Small deposits should be wiped away with a dry cloth or paper. Do not clean withsolvent.
2.When the engine is overhauled or belt tension is adjusted, check the belt carefully. If any of the following flaws are evident, replace thebelt with a new one.

DescriptionFlaw conditions
1. Hardened back surface of rubberBack surface is glossy, Non-elastic and so hard that, when your fingernail is pressed into it, no mark is produced.

2. Cracked back surface of rubber

3. Cracked or separating canvas

4. Badly worn out teeth (initial stage)Tooth flank shows canvas on the load side (Fluffy canvas fibers, rubber changed into white color and unclear canvastexture)

5. Badly worn out teeth (last stage)Tooth flank worn and rubber exposed on load side (tooth width reduced)

6. Cracked tooth bottom

7. Missing tooth

8. Badly worn side of belt

9. Cracked side of belt

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i accept your answer but your image is not clear so please make me clear it
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Here you go:

graphic

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Hold the camshaft with a wrench and loosen the camshaft sprocket bolts-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Insert a 0.3 inch (8mm) diameter screwdriver to keep the left counterbalance shaft in position-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove tensioner B and timing belt B-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Place the tensioner in a soft jawed vice in a level position. If there is a plug at the bottom of the tensioner use a plain washer-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Pay attention to the direction of the flange, if it is installed in the wrong direction, the belt will break-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Apply engine oil to the outer surface of the spacer lightly and install the spacer to the right counterbalance shaft. Be sure to install spacer correctly-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the timing mark on each sprocket with its corresponding timing mark on the front case-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the timing mark on the right counterbalance shaft sprocket with the timing mark on the front case-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lift the tensioner B to tighten tensioner B so that its tension side is pulled tight-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Make sure the timing belt Bmarks are aligned and the belt tensioner is correct-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install the flange and crankshaft sprocket making sure it is installed properly -2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Install the tensioner pulley-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Rotate the camshaft sprockets so that the dowel pin is at the upper side, set the timing mark of the sprocket correctly-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Camshaft sprocket alignment-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Align the oil pump sprocket timing marks-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Measure the auto tensioner protrusion A-2.4L engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Timing cover bolt location and torque specificationsA-2.4L engine

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Here you go:

graphic
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image

Click
View Full Image