George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

2003 Hyundai Tiburon: release bearing to engage..snap ring

I just replaced the clutch on my 2003 Hyundai Tiburon and now can't get the release bearing to engage in the clutch disc. As I understand it if I move the arm to the close position it should snap into the clutch disc and lock with the snap ring. What am I doing wrong?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Where did you place the throwout bearing when you installed the transmission?

The bearing is placed on the input shaft then the fingers of the piviot shaft are threaded into the bearing as you install the transmission. Once the transmission is bolted solidly then you install the lever to the shaft and snap the bearing into place in the snapring.

You have a new pressure plate and bearing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I installed the release bearing on the transmission shaft held in place by the two tabs on the pivot arm. I installed new pressureb plate , clutch disc. and new release bearing. Ican currently movethe arm about three tenths of an inch back and forth but can't seem to get it to engage into the clutch disc.
Expert:  George H. replied 6 years ago.

Install the slave cylinder and carefully bounce the arm with the clutch pedal. If you didn't use the Hyundai parts this may not fit as well and will take a little more pressure to snap in but don't stomp on the pedal as you can bend the throwout lever, just bounce and feel for the bearing to snap in.