Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Friedrich wall unit ac. Every summer I have to play

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Friedrich wall unit ac. Every summer I have to play around with the control panal to turn it on. The other night it just stopped working-almost as if it is not getting any power. The power cord is working though. I was thinking it might need a new control panel?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Do you mean the removable filter? if so, I have cleaned that. As for the thermastae I'm not sure where that is.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was going to try but my experience is as a mom of 3 boys and a kindergarten teacher :)
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've taken the covers off the entire unit. and tried to manually press the buttons on the panel.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 10 days ago.

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

.

You are most likely correct that the control panel (printed circuit board) has gone bad and needs to be replaced.

However, these days it can cost as much for some of these repairs as a new unit costs.

The unit you have is good for 8 to 10 years or so, then they start falling apart.

Tell me about how old it is, and what size of space it cools, and what it cost at the time so that I can assess that range of issues for you please

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The room is about 170 sq feet and it is probably about 5 years old. I really have no idea how much it costs though.
Thanks, Meredith
Expert:  Phil replied 6 days ago.

Friedrich AC's sell for close to twice what others do, and with not as good a warranty in many cases

Of the US brands Amana has the best warranty and is also reasonably priced.

8,000 btu/hr rated unit will get you by.

10,000 btu will do the job if you have any south or west unsaded glass not to exceed 20 square feet

Click here for sizess and prices, $319 will get you an AC unit that will handle 170 square feet with a 20 sq ft unshaded south or west facing window.

Stay in touch as needed. When you have all that you need please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
If I bought an ac with the same exact specs as my old one would I need to replace the wall sleeve?
Expert:  Phil replied 6 days ago.

If you buy an amana it comes with its own sleeve. you need a new sleeve in all cases regardless. Make sure the wall plug is the same as the one you currently have.

please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it. Rating is the only way the company pays me for my time!