Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Comfortmaker air conditioning system central air

Customer Question

Hello my name is***** have a Comfortmaker air conditioning system central air it's about the 15 years old and I'm having a problem with it but I cannot locate a serial number or model number where am I today I'm sitting right in front of it right now also my phone number is(###) ###-####thank you
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes thermostat thermostat is working it keeps the air handler going but the compressor is not turning on and I need to know where the serial number is ***** I have a problem with the fan on top of it binding up and not working and I can't get it till I have a serial number and there is power to the electric
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I used to do central air repairs you about 15 years ago I still have all the equipment
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just need to know where a serial number would be a open up the panel all there is is the electric diagram and I do not see a serial number inside at all or model number
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  MattR757 replied 1 month ago.

The Model / Serial data label was almost always on the outside of the control box cover on the older comfortmakers. (see picture) I've seen a few high efficiency models where the label is down near the lineset connection on the cabinet. The labels typically peel off or become unreadable after a few years of weathering - If you find that you have a label with no printing on it you can sometimes rub a little dry dirt on it to get the lettering to show up (only slightly and still really hard to read). - Also, most cell phone cameras have better contrast than your eye - I can sometimes take a picture of an unreadable label and I can read it in the photo. - Unfortunately, If the label is missing no amount of dirt will bring it back....

You might have better luck with the compressor model number and serial number - Those are usually on stamped metal plates that don't wear off - The manufacturer (or a distributor) might be able to cross reference those numbers and determine the unit info.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I see the plate on a compressor without taking the whole unit apart
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again I cannot see the plate on the compressor how can I where is it on the compressor
Expert:  MattR757 replied 1 month ago.

Comfortmaker uses Copeland compressors so the tag is probably on the side of the casing near the bottom - Probably hard to see unless you take the top off and get down between the compressor and the coil

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please CREDIT MY CREDIT CARD WHAT YOU STATED IS NOT GOOD . I SAID NO LABLE THAT I COULD SER. YOU WERE NOT ANY GOOD. PLUS YOU CHARGED MY CREDIT CARD TWICE FOR $5.00 & $23.00 I ONLY AUTHORIZED A $5.00 CHARGE. I EXPECT TO SEE A CREDIT TOMORROW. THANK. YOU. LARRY. (###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I HAVE NOTIFIED MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO REFUSE YOUR CHARGES BOTH BECAUSE I BELEIVE YOU DID WRONG.