airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have the Aprilaire 6202/03 panel it's cold in the house, I

Customer Question

Hi I have the Aprilaire 6202/03 panel it's cold in the house, I think thermostats needed batteries, I opened penal and has a red light by w. Heat not going up in house
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Checked all
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: What does that w mean
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Could it be it takes time after thermostat was not working? That's all I know
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 4 months ago.

Russ here. Turn off power to furnace and retry system. Furnace may be locked out but this will reset faults. Russ Let me know if it fires.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i turned off power to everything, it came back on without red, but then red came back after few minutes

Will fan work in on position.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
dont understand, trying to get heat here

Understand just trying to see if furnace fan is working. Russ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do i see if it is?

It will be pushing air thru system. Russ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i moved the piece to fan mode and nothing happened

If you have red light by W it means panel is calling for heat and problem is furnace.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok how do we take care of that

What is make of furnace. Can you get to furnace and check the flash code in blower compartment. There should be a small opening to look thru with a LED flashing. Count the flashes and let me know. Russ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not sure where i should be looking or what is furnace
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
company name i see is bryant

Look at bottom just below burners. That is blower compartment. There is a small hole in blower door to look thru. If your furnace a one piece front remove it and look thru hole .. Russ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
if i found what your talking about. its a light that flashes three times in a row, then waits and flashes once

Ok let me check code. Russ

Ok turn power off to furnace and retry while you are infront of furnaced and see if furnace goes thru it sequence of operation. Small fan motor starts first and then ignitor glows furnace starts. Russ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
your not helping me here. i can google this stuff too

Trying to sea if furnace is trying to start. I am not not on Google. I am a Bryant Dealer and checking Bryant site. You have to know if furnace is trying to start to see if problem is pressure switch or motor. I will opt out for another Expert. Good Luck. Russ

Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

The 31 error code is indicating that the pressure switch is open. This switch must close before furnace can light.Would you prefer to Google solutions for an open pressure switch or would you like personal guidance here.

Researching takes time and our experts are paid for their time assisting by you rating the answers when finished.I am a licensed heating contractor with 47 years experience and I use Google everyday.Very thankful for Google and not ashamed to let you know during our conversation I may Google furnace model to make sure information is accurate for your unit and assist if we need to find a part number.

So the answer to your question is that the issue is not with thermostat. The light by W indicates the pressure switch is stuck open.

You can Google "solutions for an open pressure switch on Bryant furnace model XXXXXXXXX .(Model will be on a label inside furnace.

I also am available for step by step guidance in troubleshooting the problem if you are interested for a premium service fee.

Otherwise ,as mentioned you can find many videos and blogs on Google to assist you.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.