Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Rhem unit we think was a refurbished unit, is

Customer Question

We have a Rhem unit we think was a refurbished unit, is there a way to tell
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Yes ma'am it leaks freon out at least twice a year runs and shuts off like every 6-7 mins, this unit has been nothing but problems in the 5 years we own it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NO ma'am we use a licensed dealer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No just trying to see if our unit has been refurbished
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

I need the model number so I can pull the manual on it and tell you what to look for.

and... I need to know roughly were you bought it, and for how much and what warranty if any does it come with.

With that information I can make an assessment of quality of the refurbishment

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We purchased in March 2012. Paid almost 6500 tax and all, said 5 yr warranty. From a dealer in Bald Knob ar. I have attached the information sticker
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** when you bought it had not been manufactured long enough (9/2011) to have been a refurbished unit. Beyond that it is not the practice of these manufacturers to refurbish their equipment. Odds are in the 99.9% range that the unit was new when you bought it.

Rheem is good equipment, most of these sorts of problems stem from gross installation errors, such as bad tube connections that leak refrigerant, air ducts too small to enable the equipment to run properly, same with wiring, often inadequate.

If you would like hours and hours of extended trouble shooting and coaching beyond this point, simply rate my work so far positively to insure I do not loose my shirt helping you.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Here is the rating box

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We are heading to church can I call later or can you just text me, message me on here
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

When you get back from church, just log back into your Just Answer account and click on this question with anything you want to ask me.

Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

You can also go into your email account and click on any of the notice you got that said I responded