Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Rick, I've got a Burnham Hydronics Revolution boiler, RV4

Customer Question

Good evening Rick,
I've got a Burnham Hydronics Revolution boiler, RV4 model. It was installed in 03 with a AL40A hot water tank. The expansion tank was replaced last spring with some other maintenance last spring prior to our purchase of the home. Last week we noticed the hot water was lacking, though with the inclusion of an 18 yr old moving home and the low temps and extra laundry, we expected it. However, we lost all hot water and some heat. I noticed the circulation pump wasn't running. I got the pump running but it stopped. And now the boiler stopped.
Will swapping the pump out(got a spare, unsure of its viability) fix the problem or has something else gone awry?
Thanks,
Tony
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Natech replied 15 days ago.

Tony, My name is***** will be happy to assist today.

I think if you replace your circulator you will find that you will regain your heat. If the circulator is not running then your boiler will shut off because it is up to temp/hot.

Expert:  Natech replied 15 days ago.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you. If you feel I have answered your question professionally and completely, and feel you can rate excellent please do so, if not, please allow me to assist you futher until you are completely satisfied with the service I have provided.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was running without the circ pump running. Is it possible that the water level in the system hit the low water level and shut itself off as a safety measure.
Expert:  Natech replied 14 days ago.

If you do have a low water level or pressure safety that is possible. However, if the circ pump isn't running, the boiler comes up to temp fairly quickly and then shuts off because it is hot. First thing to do would be to replace circ pump. Have you done that yet?

Expert:  Natech replied 14 days ago.

What is the pressure on the pressure gauge?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I replaced the pump this morning. After reopening all of the valves and gas, I turned the breakers back on and nothing happened. I shut the gas and breakers back off incase something was wrong internally. I called a local repairman. There was a loose wire on a valve and a fuse blew for the one zone. Those are two things I wouldn't have checked. The pump works good and now we're slowly awaiting the temp to get the whole way up.Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Natech replied 14 days ago.

You are welcome.