Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Heil 3 Ton central heat/air outside unit. We are

Customer Question

I have a Heil 3 Ton central heat/air outside unit. We are having problems with our heat. It is quite cold here in Northern Alabama, around 35 degrees. It seems like every time it gets real cold or system goes funky. It always goes to emergency heat on the thermostat but can't seem to heat the house properly.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes, I have tried to set the T-stat on heat with the fan on auto. The filters have been replaced about 30 days ago. The unit was coming on this morning but seems to blow cool air. I shut the system down by turning off the Breakers at the outside unit and at the fuse box in the garage. Ever since I did this it will not even come on now. Fan won't kick on but I do get a clicking sound at the T-Stat. What did I do and is there a reset button somewhere?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I feel comfortable doing most of it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Only that the Heat has never seemed to work properly since we moved here 4 years ago. I did replace the T-Stat. I hope it is wired correctly.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 3 months ago.

The emergency/aux heat is backup heat. What is square footage of house. When unit is heating feel large line at unit and see if it is hot. You may be low on refrigerant. When outside temp gets that low the heat pump looses efficiency. You can also measure the temperature at the return and temperature at closest supply vent. Temp difference should be about 30 degrees without aux heat on. Russ

Still need help. May not be big enough for house or electric is not big enough. The says you have to put enough electric heat in unit to heat house without the heat pump. Russ

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did not understand your reply. We had a company come by and fix the problem. All is great in the world again. Thanks!

What was problem. Russ