Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Rheem95pseries has a fault code of 56, it's not listed on

Customer Question

My Rheem95pseries has a fault code of 56 , it's not listed on the panel. Anyone know what that is
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I need the full model number of the furnace, not just a series number

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

The situation with error code, is that they are quite valuable about 50% of the time, the rest of the time they can be too vague or simply in error due to a bad printed circuit board... accordingly I do not rely on them.

Are you talking about heating the condensate trap drain inside the furnace?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
R95pa0401317msa,I had a guy tell me to install a heat cable on the pvc outlet on the bottom of the unit . First it cycles , the fan comes on , then the gas ignites fir about 10 seconds and shuts off . Then the error code says 56 . When I start in back up it flashes between 56 and 10
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Heat cable is not a bad idea.

also along the full length of the condensate drain line if it is located an unheated area.

A dirty flame sensor is the 90% cause of the burners going out after 10 seconds, its a 3 inch long stainless steel rod poking into the fire box, all you can see from the outside is a white ceramic piece with ONE wire attached that runs to the printed circuit board... remove the rod and clean it off with a scotch brite pot scubber pad

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

If that fails do a heat stress test on the printed circuit card, warm it up with a hair drier to 125F, slowly and gently, if you get any change in behavior, good or bad, the board has micro cracks in it and must be replaced.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

I am off to bed shortly, if I miss you tonight i will pick up your response first thing in the morning.