Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a quietside 120 dual purpose boiler. the room temp

Customer Question

i have a quietside 120 dual purpose boiler. the room temp wont get above 67 degrees. my repairman says the system is not shedding heat into the floor enough, so the water returns "too warm" and the boiler shuts of because of this. seems like a crazy explanation. by the way, this is after he added a suplemental pump and redid a lot of the plumbing. does his explanation for why my system isnt working make snese?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: i have reset the thermostat repeatedly. it is set to "hold" at 70 degrees. the inside thermostat shows the boiler firing up to 140, runs for about two minutes, then stops heating, until the thermo drops below 102
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no, i have a nonfunctiioning system and a $3500 repair bill
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Yeah I'm not buying it either. 140 is too hot for a radiant panel (floor) typical water degign temp is always less than 120. You should have a tempering valve on the radiant loop that will recirculate water in thefloor until it cools down enough to circulate back to the boiler. Sounds like your guy isn't real experieinced with radiant systems.