Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

How do we test to see of Heat Pump is harboring pathogens,

Customer Question

How do we test to see of Heat Pump is harboring pathogens
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: No to the thermostat settings. The filters have been cleaned. I am trying to determine what the cause of my 5 month Respiratory problems and want to rule out the heat pumps
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It depends on how complicated the procedures are. I would think I would need a sample to be tested at some lab
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, I just want to know one way or the other if our heat pumps are contributing
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 18 days ago.

Hi, how are you? There is no real way of checking, short of having an IAQ specialist come on site and take some measurements of your air quality. You may be able to visually inspect the coil and your duct work. If the coils or duct work are very dirty they very well could have some growths or particulates contributing to respiratory issues. If you find the coil and duct dirty, it would be a good idea to have them fully professionally cleaned. In most instances duct can be cleaned to an acceptable point. In severe cases, duct would have to be replaced. Once everything is cleaned, you should install a whole house media type air filtration system. But the only real way to know for certain if your air quality is a source of the issue is to have it professionally inspected. Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have. Thanks