Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a honeywell 8184 g 4009 and it ignites, but then the

Customer Question

I have a honeywell 8184 g 4009 and it ignites, but then the red light comes on. I have reset it twice and its done the same thing. It gets hot so I know its at least igniting the oil
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just this past week. It was serviced this past year
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hopefully.... its really cold today and no service technician can come out till prob wed. Cold front coming in it supposed to be in the 30s
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Oil is full, it ignites, and then shuts down with the red light after about 3 minutes
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Are you saying the burner fires up then the control locks out while the burner is firing? if so are you sure the burner is firing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well, it gets hot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no. text is fine
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

What gets hot? The burner firing is unmistakeable. You'll hear it rumble and see light in the chamber

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the exit exhaust pipe that sends heat throughout the house
There is a rumbling, but Im not sure if there is a light. Can I open the little flap and look while it's "Igniting" to see if there is a light? Is that safe?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

It's safe you just have to crack it enough to see any light. If the exhaust is getting hot then it's firing

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. Then what would be another reason for the red light to come on and for it to shut off like that if it's not the ignition?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

If you have to hit th reset to get it to fire up AND it's locking out while the burner is firing then you either have a bad or dirty cad cell, the electric eye that sees the flame or a bad cad cell socket or a bad control.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
easy to fix? Easy to clean the cad cel?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Turn the power off, then release the screw on the front of the ignition transformer and swing it back on it's hinge. The check to see if the cad cell glass is clean. See attached pic

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is clean. I took it out, cleaned it, and put it back. it ignited and stayed lit for 5 min or so then timed out again
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Did you have to hit the reset button to restart the burner?