Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am having an issue with my hvac system, and I am trying to

Customer Question

I am having an issue with my hvac system, and I am trying to do research on it. I have a gas furnace in the attic with two zones of heat, 1st and 2nd floor. The other morning when we woke up it was 79 upstairs and 71 downstairs. Both thermostats are set to 71. I figured maybe its a bad thermostat so I changed the 2nd floor stat. However when I changed the second floor tstat, the first floor tstat went blank. then when I turned the 2nd floor tstat on the blower turned off, and when I turned it off the blower turned on. I disconnected the new tstat and just spliced red and white together so I can have heat for a little while, but I don't know whats wrong
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today.Give me a moment to look over your question and gather some information .I may need to get a bit more information from you.

1. Model on old and new thermostats?

2.Wires to old and where did you put on new> (EX Red to R, etc)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The old one is a honeywell programmable 5+2 day tstat they sell at lower. The new one is also honeywell, but it is not programable, cheap like $25. I can't find model numbers online. I hooked them up the same way, the old stat had C G Y W R, The color code was C= blue G=green W= white Y=yellow R=Red. On the new one the terminals where C O G Y W R. So I hooked up C=blue O=no wire G= Green Y= yellow W= white R=red. I am still looking for the model numbers for the stats
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Honeywell RTH6350D1000/E is the old one
Honeywell RTHL111B1001 is the new one
Also I went upstairs into attic and looked at the controller and it is a honeywell mini zone, and the system light is orange, which indicates it is in purge mode. I just found this but I do not know what that means or how to get it out of purge mode

I am not that familiar with that zone light.I will open to experts who may be

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I haven't heard back from anyone yet