Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My heil furnace starts normally but shortly after full

Customer Question

my heil furnace starts normally but shortly after full ignition at varying times it will shut down. I replaced the air filter and checked the condensate pump and all is well with that. The 6-2 code has flashed at different times but the normal operating constant on off flash is there most of the time. Can you help?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I have the thermostat set much higher than the room temperature and as I stated I replaced the only filter that there is. Some times I can hear a clicking sound as if the gas valve is being cycled off and on.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only what I can without parts on hand. I live in a very rural area and parts wont be available for a couple of days from now. I have a degree in HVAC but have not worked in the field for over 20 years so I am not up on troubleshooting but can do the work.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have checked the propane tank and it is at 60% but I have not checked the gas pressure at the valve and wont because I am confident it is not a gas supply problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, its most likely a dirty flame sensor rod, or the condensate trap inside the furnace has mud in it and is not emptying to your condensate pump properly.

If you can give me the model number of the Heil furnace from its model number tag in the same compartment as the gas valve, I will see if I can pull the manual for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
H9MPD07SF12B1
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not wish to switch to a call
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

No problem on the call, its just our server programmed to make those offers.

That model number unfortunately didn't compute.

About how old is the furnace? Can you take close up exceeding well focused photo of the wiring diagram and attach it here? If you do I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.