Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an A.O. gvr 40 100 that keeps losing the pilot light.

Customer Question

Hi, I have an A.O. Smith gvr 40 100 that keeps losing the pilot light. It will stay lit initially by eventually it will go back out.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: For about 10 days. I have probably relit it about 20 times in that span. I think I need to replace the thermocouple assembly but I'm a bit confused by the "high altitude" parts.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The pilot on/off plastic valve is cracked. Can I replace that by itself or do I need a new temperature control box?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can't fix the gas valve you need to replace it. This may the cause of the pilot going out probably not the thermocouple. Also check/vacuum the filter around the base of the tank. If that gets clogged up it can cut the air intake to the burner off which can put out the pilot