Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a pearless hot water boiler with a beckett burner.

Customer Question

I have a pearless hot water boiler with a beckett burner. The low water control was buzzing a couple times when I tried to restart the furnace. That was new so I replaced it with the same exact one.The sensor was in a air pocket so I blead the new one to get the air out. While the furnace was down I drained the expansion tank which had about five gallons of water in it. That is a yearly thing for both furnaces. Went to restart and the r7184b beckett burner control blinks and clicks a fast blnk then off for about two seconds then another blink which equals lock out. i changed the control to a new one that had a digital screen. it reported low voltage and tt open I think it was. I switched it bake as the lockout could not reset on the new one either. I rechecked the low water cut off and the wiring through the aquastat to the burner.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

On a hot water boiler you have to jump TT that's why you got the open TT error. What is the brand and model of the LWCO? What do you have for a new burner ignitio control? do you have a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

The tt thermostat is connected to the aquastat and through into the back of the 7184b control. No that was only the replacement one I tried it to see if it went into lockout. No tt was not jumped on that one. So that tt error might be that. Then the other error before I put the old one again was low voltage. The original is on there and still has a quick blink then about two or three seconds then a quick blink. Lock out. It has been on there for four or five years. Safegaurd low water cut off (exact as one taken off) and burner control is beckett r7184b.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The issue was low voltage and it was present at the low water cut off 60v. The issue was a wire in the wire nut of the safety shut off switch that was not tight with the other wire. Once together the thing took off.