Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a Charmglow ventless fireplace heater, Serial

Customer Question

We have a Charmglow ventless fireplace heater, Serial #GC04097524, Model CGN300TQ. Our problem is the strong smell when we light the heater. ( we light the heater with the striker unit) Do we need to replace any worn parts?
JA: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?
Customer: Charmglow
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no,
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, How old is the charm glo unit. Meantime do not operate the heater at all, its dangerous. Also, even after we get it working properly again you should have two carbon monoxide detectors in the house, one of them in the same room as the Charmglow heater.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think the heater is 10 years old. We presently have a carbon monoxide detector in our house. Are you suggesting that this heater cannot be repaired for use.
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am suggesting that those types of heaters can give off carbon monoxide even if they are working reasonably well... better safe than sorry.

This heater is nothing that you can reliably service yourself, if you tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I will see if I can locate a technician that services those in your area.