Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I own a VG5790 pellet stove. The Stove starts really well

Customer Question

I own a VG5790 pellet stove . The Stove starts really well but in the start process the blower will start then after the temp gets up,the stove normally kicks the blower on high but for some reason it will not kick the blower on high unless you turn the unit off. I have owned the unit for three years and have never had a problem until now.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Where is the filter located and I didn't know the unit came with a filter . When I bought this unit they didn't have a manual for it and said they would get me one but never did.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I dont thing so . The Pellets I just bought and were dry and I just finished cleaning out the flue . I clean that out every week. I used a shop vac to make sure its clean .
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is most likely a problem with the printed circuit board.

Tell me a lot about your technical skills so that I can coach you most appropriately, If you want to dig into the electronics attach a close up, well lit and exceedingly well focused photo of the wiring diagram glued inside one of the service access panels,

USe the attach files link next to your send button for that,

I am off to bed shortly, if I miss you tonight I will pick up your response first thing in the morning,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the circuit board behind the temp display ? That's the only place I see wires except the ones going to the fan motors and igniter plus a reset
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please call me tomorrow so I can get this resolved .***-***-**** Michael Bowser
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello again, here is a manual that you can view on line

See this trouble shooting section, 3 pages. Page 25 has the wiring diagram, there are two printed circuit boards, the display board behind the temp display, and the 'control board' you can follow the fan and auger wires to it.

You can try a heat stress test on the control board by using a hair drier to warm it up to 125F, slowly and gently, if it has micro crack flaws in it, this heating will either 'improve' the behavior, or precipitate the problem... in either case the stress test has discovered micro cracks, replace the board.

You can do the same test on the display board, but heat it from behind but not from the plastic front.