Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Have a goodman furnace model# aruf303016ca. it was installed

Customer Question

Have a goodman furnace model# ***** it was installed about 5 years ago. this happened once before but it quit. I turned my electric off while on vacation, when I turned it back on the furnace blower kicked on but no heat. this runns for a few minutes then breaker blows. it has 2 breakers and its seems to be the one that runs the blower. you can feel the breaker and feel it heat up before blowing. This seems to happen when my electric gets turnd off then back on. As I said it happend once before but came out of it and started working again.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: thetmostat is set at 72, filter is new, thinking that may be the problem I put a new filter in it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Im not sure yet, hoping it will be something simple.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Im just trying to figure out why it is blowing the brakers. It worked fine before I turned electric off for vacation
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a volt meter to check voltage and an amp meter to check amp draw? Really hard to troubleshoot electrical without?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, this is at my home that Im not there all the time, my son lives there, I'm about 150 miles from there. He has no tools of that kind. The way he explained it to me was, the breaker will pop off, he waits about 10 minutes and turns them back on ( 2 Breakers but only the 1 that runs blower pops) I had him put his hand on breaker after turning it on to see if it gets hot and it does before poping off. But the blower does run but no heat until it pops off.

Sounds like you may have a heating element that is shorting or has a loose connection or a bad sequencer.

The blower and elements are brought on by a sequencer in the air handler.

If the unit starts to blow but after a short time trips breaker , that may be when one of the sequencers is energized

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This happened after electric was turned off by electric company then when they turned it back on this is what happened. This happened the same way when electric was off then back on last winter, but after a few times of the breaker blowing then popping it back on it quit blowing. Now the same thing is happening but he has poped it back on more than several times with no luck.

May ether be coincidental or possible utility company may have sent high voltage through a leg, but turning power off and back on should not cause the issue