Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 4 ton condenser AC only payne equipment I

Customer Question

I have a 4 ton condenser AC only payne equipment I accidentally purchased this without checking to make sure it was heat pump what I'm trying to find out is this possible to change this to a heat pump by changing the configuration and adding the reversing valve ,defrost board, accumulator etc. are running into problems
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

My name is Billy. While physically possible...this would require an entire rebuild both refrigerant based and wiring based.

Odds are the conversion would cost more than what the unit cost.

There are also txv and piping changes inside the unit. This change could easily be over $1500

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is a complete new install my problem is the manufacture won't take the unit back and ask for labor wise and crane wise I believe it would be cheaper for me to make this heat pump unit This is a 410 a system i'm looking at $1700 for a new unit plus the crane charges and labor charges to change this unit completely I know reversing valve and other parts aren't that expensive doing the work myself so I can save on labor part
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

My concern...and I feel for your your situation...is that once you do all this work you will have no warranty.

Now you can remove the entire wiring harness and replace, install defrost board, cut all piping back to coil and and compressor and build a new manifold with outdoor txv, reverse valve etc.

Honestly in 25 years I have never seen it done. But in theory the same compressor, fan motor etc....you will just be starting from scratch.

I apologize as I know from a rebuild perspective it is possible...but I have no first hand knowledge of actually completing this task