Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Replaced a 30 year old 8148 with a red board probably made

Customer Question

Replaced a 30 year old 8148 with a red board probably made in Mexico with a new 8148 made in China with a green board on a Burnham P203 boiler
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Finally got it to work but does the same thing that the old did, runs the boiler till its overheated and the safety shuts its down then it must be relighted.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a license tech but for oil.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The new one had more connections for everything. To get the burner to fire had to use the brass connector on the millivolt side though this boiler has a standing pilot. The thermostat area had 6 screws instead of two as before. I think this is where the problem is.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What safety are you talking about? is this a standing pilot unit? what's the full model number of the L8148

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Problem started a couple of weeks ago, and I think the circulator died.the 2 zones above the boiler got heat but not the basement because of no circulation. And every day the boiler would shut down. Called a repairman , he replaced the circulator but shorted the lead to it. After this the control lost its ability to control and this cost me 300 dollars. So rather repeat this fiasco I purchased a new control yesterday and installed it. Took another 3 hours to get back what I had before.
Going back today before the house freezes up. It 19 degrees out side. Any ideas?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

You didn't answer any of my questions

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think the safety is a Honeywell l4006 hooked into the burner circuit.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Standing pilot or electronc ignition?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Honeywell L8148J. Yes like I said a standing pilot, a Honeywell L4006 wired as burner safety. This was done 30years when everybody was building with imported help.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

What do you mean you have to relight it when the safety shuts it down? The pilot shouldn't go out when an over temp limit shuts the burner down. An over temp limit is not standard practice on a residential boiler. Also is this a millivolt or 24 volt gas valve?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't think so but that the only way to get the system to fire yesterday. The bldg. was already at 32 degrees.
Going back in an hour and it should be about 35 at that time I will ask you to call me.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Ok, probably the best way to deal with this, with a call when you're onsite

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I'll respond as soon as I can. I have to step away soon but should be back in less than an hour.