Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Have a new Carrier 40GRQ unit. Keeps shutting down, and need

Customer Question

Have a new Carrier 40GRQ unit. Keeps shutting down, and need to restart. Have had LOTS of freezing rain, and has built up somewhat on the fins inside the exterior unit. Could that be the issue?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: All new filters (unit installed last week), Therm set to 75, seperate thermometer in same room reads 64.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NO. Not qualified, and is under full warranty. Also, do you know what the "power" icon on the head unit indicates?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Normally, I would contact the seller/installers, but with the ice storm we had yesterday & last night, I'm sure they're quite busy. I'm just trying to get a handle on what I'm seeing or doing wrong.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, that is a heat pump, not designed to run when it is below 20 or 30F, it will ice over in those conditions with freezing rain, and that is the problem no doubt. You are not doing anything wrong. The unit will protect itself.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

I am off to bed shortly, if I miss you tonight I will pick up your response in the morning, meantime please rate my work, I will appreciate it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Figured as much, although was informed the unit would perform down to -10. Probably does not factor in the ice. Thank you.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Correct, the freezing rain is the wild card here.

Its time to rate my work, I will appreciate it, its the only way the company pays me for my time and expenses. Thanks