Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Thanks. After a power outage in my neighborhood, the power

thanks. After a power outage in my neighborhood, the power came back on, but I now have no ignition in my RTG-74PVN. It was working fine before the power outage. any suggestions?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: for 2 days. coincidentally, I had drained the unit in order to reroute the cold water supply to the unit and the hot return from the unit. While the pipes were opened up and the water had drained out, the power died. Unit was unplugged during the plumbing work and before the power died. The next day, I soldered the pipes, leak checked them, and tested to make sure I have plenty of water pressure at the hot faucets in the house. Same pressure as before the repair started.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: air and water filters are clean, but not sure what you mean by the "thermostat."
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes, unless it involves diagnosis I can't handle. Seems like something simple is wrong that I am missing. We had had power outages before, and if I remember right, I didn't have to do anything except maybe turn power on.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I tried checking the error codes and 1E was 11 (no ignoition). But not certain I displayed all codes correctly. Then tried to re

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Does the unit fire up then go out or not fire at all?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Not at all

Could be a bad or fouled igniter.

Do you have a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

Ok, first check the 3 amp fuse where the electrical feed enters the inside of the unit. If that fuse is intake establish a call for hot water (run water in a tub to ensure adequate flow) then check for 120 vac across the grey wires connected to the igniter.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Fuse ok but no voltage across gray wires on igniter

Service manual says you need a new board.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Before I do that (gulp), ok if I get back to you later today? Just wondering if I haven't done the correct start up sequence for after the unit is drained and gas is shut off. I read something in the manual about unit won't fire it's a start up sequence is violated. I'll have to reread it

Ok, the bad board/ no igniter voltage applies to an 11 error which also implies the flow sensor has triggered a call for hot water. The fan should be running first when there is a call for hot water

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No fan (forgot to tell you that). Does that make you more or less certain that it's a bad board?

No fan could indicate a bad flow sensor. A couple things to try. First cleanout the filter on the cold water inlet at the unit. Then try again. If still no fan check voltage to the fan and voltage into the unit. That means check the voltage at the transformer primary (120 vac) and secondary.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks. Will try that later today when I get home

Ok, I'm online until ~7 pm EST. I do take breaks. I'll respond as soon as I can