Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I changed my ignition control board now it gives me two code

Customer Question

I changed my ignition control board now it gives me two code the first code is system lockout or failed to detect or sustain flame
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about a week with out heat
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yes filters are new thermostat brand new had blower checked and capacitor all good
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: code the first code is system lockout or failed to detect or sustain flame this is code flashing on ignition board
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Hello, did you clear or replace the flame sensor rod when you replaced the ignition module? Is the flame present before it shuts off, or do you get no ignition at all?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
1. No I did not replace flame sensor I rubber it down with steel wool then put back in place. It was also giving code before I change ignition module.
2. No I see no flame are hear gas no ignition at all
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
One of the problems is I cant tell what model it is the sticker outside has been faded by the son. Other than heat pack and lennox I would not know what kinda part to order do I need a new flame sensor? or anything else I need to change.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Is ignitor and flame sensor the same thing?
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** model number however I can't tell what sort of ignition it has,

A wiring diagram should be glued to the inside of the blower access panel, if you can take a well lit, close up and exceedingly well focused photo of it I might be able tell what kind if igniter and flame sensor it has. Usually however the flame sensing is via 3 inch long rod, and the ignition is either sparking rods, OR a glow plug type igniter,

attach the photo using the attach files link to the left of your send button, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
okay let me run out side and get the photo
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
okay I will run outside and take photos
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
pictures and wiring diagram
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Thanks, the wiring diagram is a bit too faded for me to tell exactly what you have there.

So far it sounds like bad sparking rods if its a spark ignition (you can clean and re-gap them) OR a bad glow plug ignition,

IF it is a sparking rod ignition there will be a very thick wire running from the ignition module to it, almost the size of a lead pencil.... if its a glow plug ignition there will be two smaller size wires running to it, (not including the wire that runs to the flame sensor)

click here of for pictures, let me know what you can discover, we can go from there

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Do you think if i change Ignition and flame sensor I should be good. If that did not fix problem what would be my next step
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Yes changing the ignitor and flame sensor has a good chance of fixing the problem, 90% or so.

without a furnace model number however that could be a problem.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I guessing the guy who ordered ignition board might be able to figure it out for me.
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Maybe, however if you can remove the old igniter assembly and take some pictures of it, that would work and you could read the voltage right off of the igniter if its a glow plate type

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
okay since the heat dosn't work I will just remove both of them and take to shop with me
Expert:  Phil replied 11 days ago.

Good idea. I am off to bed now, let me know if you have any problems with it tomorrow,