Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Ive got a weil mclain boiler and the burners aren't working,

Customer Question

ive got a weil mclain boiler and the burners aren't working
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: well the boiler has been shut down since last winter because i was adding some baseboard heat
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yeah i jumped out the thermostat at the boiler
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i changed the thermocouple and the pilot is fine however i don't know why the burner won't ignite
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is the model number of your boiler?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
weil mclain cg
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Do you have electronic ignition or a standing (lit all the time) pilot?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
standing
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Is the motorized damper open?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the damper is the vent that comes out of the top of the boiler?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

The damper is in line in the vent (see attached pic). When it's open the flats on the motor shaft will be vertical.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
This is what I have
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Looks like somebody removed the damper. Try pressing the reset button on the blocked vent switch on the side of the bell shaped draft diverter on top of the boiler. If you push the small button between the 2 wires and it clicks you have reset it and the boiler will fire up with any luck. I'm assuming the pilot is lit.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The burners lit up before I even pressed the reset button. I lit the pilot, jumped it out, and turn it on. Also do I need a new damper?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Dampers are a waste of money. You'll never get back in fuel cost saving what it cost for a replacement. It's only there to help hold the heat in the boiler when it isn't firing.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is there another reason the burners weren't igniting before? They have lit before and just went out
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Was the pilot lit? If so then the boiler has to be down in order to troubleshoot this. It's an old boiler. The gas valve could be failing or maybe you have a bad connection.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The boiler is shut off. I was thinking the gas valve is bad. I don't know how to troubleshoot that though
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
the pilot was lit
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

You can't unless the boiler isn't working. When it doesn't fire up and it should (call for heat boiler & is well below high limit setting) you need to check for 24 volts AC at the gas valve. If you have 24 vac a lit pilot and no burner igition then you have a bad gas valve.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
24 volts on these 2 wires?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don't have a voltmeter on me right. Ironic since I'm an electrician. However I can only assume that if I'm not getting 24 bolts the gas valve that it could be a problem with the transformer?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

Given that it's starts back up own its own then yes a bad transformer is likely. R & G terminals are thermostat, R & C are 24 v constant. Besides the vent switch the only other things in the circuit are the aquastat/limit and the rollout flame sensor down by the burners. Rollout is 1 time use. If it's open it has to be replaced. Here's the schematic (with damper in place)
http://www.weil-mclain.com/sites/default/files/field-file/cg-119_1.pdf

Expert:  Rick replied 6 days ago.

I'm logging off for the night. I'd appreciate a favorable rating. This thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow ups even after you rate me favorably