airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I was just wondering if there were any drawbacks with

Customer Question

I was just wondering if there were any drawbacks with replacing and embraco 70hlp hermetic compressor in a fridge with a larger displacement 100hlp?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: junot long
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 days ago.

If the unit is designed for the 70, you are asking for problems installing a 100 in its place.The 100 is designed to operate with more refrigerant in the system that the system is designed to work with.

In otherwords the evaporator and you 70 are a matched system.The 100 will require more refrigerant than the evaporator can work with.If you charge the unit based on what the evaporator needs, compressor will suffer lack of lubrication as charge is low.On the other hand if you charge to meet compressors need, the evaporator will be getting to much liquid refrigerant which will cause floodback and end up in premature compressor failure..

Matching compressor is much more critical than one might think.Even the number of bends in tubing, length of lines and size of lines are critical for proper operation and performance.