HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Dayton overhead heater model #4LX57 gas heater

Customer Question

I have a Dayton overhead heater model #4LX57 gas heater running on propane. I recently moved the heater from one barn to another barn. The heater was working fine at the previous location. I was very careful not to handle to rough during the move. My problem is when the thermostat calls for heat, the heater fires right up the first time. After the thermostat is satisfied the heater shuts down, the flame goes out, the fan continues to run for a few minutes, the fan shuts down, the inducer blower continues to run for maybe 10-15 minutes. When the thermostat calls for heat again the heater does not ignite but the fan kicks on again blowing cold air. If I shut the power off to the heater for 1-2 minutes, turn the power on again, it ignites fine the first time and does what I explained above. Any thoughts on this problem?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I have. The thermostat is calling for heat when the temperature drops below the thermostat setting & when the room temperature goes above the thermostat setting, the call for heat shuts off like it should
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am using the same propane tank I used at the previous location, Line has been purged of all air.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 days ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 6 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Clean off the flame sensor rid with some fine sand paper and then try it.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!