Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Is there a code on how far the flue pipe of a new 92%

Customer Question

Is there a code on how far the flue pipe of a new 92% efficient Goodman gas furnace must be from a window or the outside air conditioning compressor.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The furnace works great. A house inspector said the flue pipe (on the outside of the house) must be at least 3 feet from a window or the air conditioning unit. We have never of that "code
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: It is already done. My husband is licensed to install and we purchased the unit from Goodman in Joplin, Mo. We are trying to sell our house and the buyers had a home inspection where the inspector said the flue was not located 3 feet from a window and the air conditioning unit and was not safe. My husband had never heard of a code and was inquiring as to the validity of the statement.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, just need to know if there is a "code" requiring 3 ft from window or air condition.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The code is that the exhaust must be installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Some 90%+ unit's exhaust can be as close as 12" from a window. Your inspector is even wrong about the 3' it's actually 4' not 3' for many units (usually 80%). The only way I can be specific is if you can give me the model number for your unit. It should be on the rating tag which should be iside the burner compartment.

Expert:  Rick replied 8 days ago.

Do you have more questions?