HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Replacing trane weathertron baystat240a with honeywell

Customer Question

replacing trane weathertron baystat240a with honeywell RTH221B and wiring x2 is in question
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just started today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: all wires match up except X2 on the old thermostat, and there is no X2 on the new. There is W on the new
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: thermostat
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 days ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

X2 is the emergency heat wire...it should go to E or W2 on the thermostat, if you have no W2 or E/AUX connector then you can place it on W if you have nothing else on W.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated....HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Connected X2 to W, and replace panel, turn power back on, and unit will not come on. Any suggestions?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 days ago.

What likely happened is the low voltage fuse in the furnace or airhandler blew. There typically is a SLOT STYLE 3-5AMP FUSE on the board itself inside the furnace/airhandler like this.

CLICK HERE

If that is burned out all power to the thermostat will be lost. 95% of all units use some sort of SLOT FUSE or inline BUS STYLE FUSE to protect the low voltage circuit. You need to find that and change it out. If you just bump two wires together you could have just popped it without even knowing it. Now if for some reason your unit does not use a fuse often the board will be damaged due to the short. You would need to confirm you have 24 volts to the board inside the furnace/airhandler with a volt meter to make sure though.

Note if you have a condensate pump check the float and make sure the pump is not full of water...as that could cut low voltage power to the unit as well if the pump is not working and full of water