Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Ruud 92% eff furnace that's been operating for 4

Customer Question

I have a Ruud 92% eff furnace that's been operating for 4 years, There's been no changes electrically to the furnace or house. Now I am getting a code 26, saying the neutral is reversed.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gaztech replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is Luke

NOTE: I can only get credited for assisting you if you click the 5 star rating at the top of page if we are done

Are you ready?

Expert:  Gaztech replied 14 days ago.

Shut power off to furnace, open cover box where the 120V wire enters the furnace, check all connections, White to white, black to black, then proper ground wire connection. restore power and check if code still there.

If still there.. shut power off again and reverse wires in same box White to black ..

restore power and try.

Expert:  Gaztech replied 13 days ago.

Hope you got system going by now, can we close question?

NOTE: I can only get credited for assisting you if you click the 5 star rating at the top of page if you are satisfied with my answer

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Your answer was not helpful. It did not seem like you read the question. The furnace has worked for 3 years and there has been no electrical changes. It tried your suggestion and of course it did not work.
Expert:  Phil replied 9 days ago.

Hello, This is not an answer... it is step one of what could turn out to be a many step diagnostic process.

if the error code did not go away when you reversed white and black as the previous tech suggested, then it is probably a bogus error code, or some sort of shorted wire inside the furnace... since there have been no wiring changes in the house, all this points to a bogus error code due to the printed circuit board going bad.

That said it is possible that a 120v cord cap (plug) is wired incorrectly on a new appliance in the house, that can also result in reverse polarity.

Click here for a superb video on the topic

Next step is to do a heat stress test on the printed circuit board, use a hair drier to warm it slowly and gently to 120F, if there is any chance in behavior or the error code goes away etc, the board has a micro crack in one of its circuits that expanded when the board was warmed up.

We can go from there. I am off to bed shortly and will be back at 7 am

Regardless