Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I just replaced my old thermostat with a honeywell

Customer Question

I just replaced my old thermostat with a honeywell non-programmable CT31A. I followed the wire colors from the old to the new. The problem with the old was that the "heat" switch was only working intermittantly. It started last year and is worse this year. The AC was working fine. With the new honeywell thermostat, the heat works fine, but the AC only turns on the inside unit ( the compressor outside never comes on). The inside AC will stay on for just a minute, then go off. Any ideas?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The only setting I see on the thermostat is the "adjustment lever", which was already set to 0.4 for a gad furnace. What other adjustments? Is there supposed to be a direct connection from the thermostat to the outside unit? If so, is it the red wire?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: What work? I just replaced the thermostat
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just what I said about the outside unit not turning on when I switch to cold. Is thee something that is supposed to be jumpered on the thermostat?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Do you have RH jumpered to RC?