airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

The control valves on my fireplace have melted and I cannot

Customer Question

The control valves on my fireplace have melted and I cannot shut my fireplace off
JA: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?
Customer: Model deb20nh
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is this model serviceable? My husband is going to shut off the gas so it can cool down. Then he will try to shut it off
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 days ago.

The Monessen fireplace can be serviced but you will have to find someone local who works on them.

You may be able to do a Google search or call around to local heating companies, maybe even local gas supplier will work on, but by all means shut gas off to the appliance and have repairs made before trying you use again

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But I can leave it on to bite safely correct because I am not doing anything to it
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 days ago.

Your local dealer is the best source for service of your unit or chimney. You can find one on our Where to Buy feature. If there is no Monessen dealer in your area, you can find a qualified technician via the National Fireplace Institute which trains and certifies installers and technicians in both gas and wood burning specialties. Visit http://www.nficertified.org for more information.

Here is a link to the Monessen site. you can click on the where to buy link to see if they have a dealer close by.

http://www.monessenhearth.com/Customer-Care

If you have a melted valve control I would not take a chance on using it.This could be extremely dangerous.If the valve is getting hot enough to melt.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I just want to know if it can leave it on for now and shut the gad off in the morning
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 days ago.

I would shut gas off to the appliance immediately for safety reasons

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, I will have my husband go shut the gad off
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 days ago.

Yes please. I would love to know you are warm, but more concerned to keep you safe.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.