HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

Condenser on my heat pump runs a few seconds and shuts down.

Customer Question

I have a Geothermal Heat Pump that is having issues when set to "Heat" mode. The condenser starts after a bit of a delay, runs for about 20 seconds and shuts down.
When the contactor engages, I see 24 v across the coil and when the condenser shuts down, it is because the contactor is no longer seeing 24v across the coil.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 4 months ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

It sounds like a pressure switch is triggering it to open the unit may be low on freon causing that issue. Are you getting any errors on it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a geothermal unit, so water runs through the condensor. I am not getting any visual low pressure signal like I would normally do when the water flow goes below a certain PSI.

Do you have the schematic for it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
unfortunately not. Just wondering a couple things....is there a way to test relay functionality for this 24Amp relay: AZ2900-1A-24AP. Also, any way to verify if the timer break delay operates properly?Finally, any way to test the low/high pressure switches to confirm operability.Paul
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to test the capacitor?

If you are losing power to the relay something is killing the signal and it is more than likely a pressure switch, You can check the pressure switches with a meter or just bypass them with a jumper closed and see if they run longer. The capacitor you would need a tested for or check for signs of bulging, but still the loss of 24 volts to the relay points to a pressure switch.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok....thanks

No problem