Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am trying to attach a Nest to an HZ311 two zone system. My

Customer Question

I am trying to attach a Nest to an HZ311 two zone system. My original Honewell panel just had 3 wires going to it - red, green, and white, labeled 1, 2, and 3. Nest gives me an error saying that the RC line has now power. I have access to additional wires that are unused in the line.
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: I'm appying the Nest tonight - I just bought it. The home was built 2 years ago, so everything is new.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I usually do. Am I foolish for trying?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It sounds from another post (http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/8rs02-i-m-trying-connect-nest-hz311-needs-common.html) that I can use other wires to complete the job. However, I'm not sure how I should wire things on the HZ311 side to make this work. Way cool! Well worth 5$ (or a lot more) if you can guide me.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 days ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK. This is a little weird. I thought I was paying for your answer (well worth it!), and suddenly I was asked to sign up for a monthly subscription. Seems like bait and switch. Are we good to go so you can answer my questions without my signing up for some sort of recurring monthly expense?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm very happy to type. The system is trying to push me to make a call. Arrgh....
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Just ignore the pop ups I have nothing to do with that. DO you have a wire connected to the RC?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm type well, but don't know HVAC. You are and HVAC expert, but not a great typist. I think we will get along just fine - we both will just need a little patience with each other. My Honeywell unit had 3 wires coming out: red, green, and white. I placed red to Rc (arbitrary choice - I could have placed it with Rh), white to W1, and Green to G. The unit identified no power with Rc as an error. It was then that I realized that the Honeywell is a 2 zone unit that with an HZ311 panel connected to two accessory panels. I think each accessory panel goes to my two Honeywell thermostats, both of which I would like to replace.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I pulled the thermostat wiring out of the wall, hoping to find extra wires. I did. I have blue and yellow that I can use.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 9 days ago.

Let me see if another expert can assist you in this I am having some computer issues on my end.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
OK.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This isn't working out very well. Any idea on whether we can continue?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Still no response.