airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I am having a problem with having furnace blower constantly

Customer Question

Hi I am having a problem with having furnace blower constantly running
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes i just cleaned them - it's Honeywell electrionic air cleaner system should i look into replacing cell as well?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. i just replaced thermostat as well. was thinking that was the issue.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Issue is most likely a bad relay on the furnace control board.

Can you give me complete model from inside furnace in burner compartment so I can provide guidance with this specific unit.Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel

http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Its Rheem - cant locate model #. should I send you pic?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
its RHEEM - RGD-J-12EARJR
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
air filters may be an issue as well. First time home owner and not sure if Honeywell electrical air cleaner needs replacement - either filters or the cell. also filters are only installed on one side of the unit. the side that pumps the air into the vent -> other side is open into HVAC unit. sounds right? or should i have filters on both sides?
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Does both heat and cool work and cycle normaly other than indoor fan just keeps running?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i havent tested cool yet, getting cold in Chicago but yes - heat cycles normally and responds to themoset
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

OK a mentioned.I suspect relay stuck on board. Lets do this, Remove the thermostat wires from furnace control board,then hold door switch in and see if blower comes on .

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
All the thermostat wires? all 5 of them?
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Yes what we want to do is make sue there is no external issue outside of the furnace that is telling blower to run

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
done. blower stills turns on despite having thermostat wires being removed from circuit of HVAC board
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

I suspected it would.If furnace heats properly except for blower not shutting off, you are going to need to replace the control board.You will see a couple of small black boxes on control board.These are the relays that tell the fan to come on in heat or cool speeds. The contacts are stuck closed and not releasing after call for heat is satisfied.

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

There should be a part number on control board beginning with 62-. You can Google that part number to locate a replacement board and this will solve your problem.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
is there a harm if I just let this darn fan on? or should I look into replacing soon? Is it easy to replace by myself? Any recommendations on where can I order this part from or pick up (ideally?)?Just want to make sure that attached picture is what need to be replaced. THanks for your help!
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Yes that is the culprit.It wlll not hurt anything to leave as it is other than when furnace cycles, it will blow cool air

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Let me see what I can find on a replacement

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
appreciate it. I cant find any part # that starts with 62. :(
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

I am showing 3 different board for the furnace.Can you give me the serial number?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Serial EB5D307F439608873
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Thanks. Be right with you

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Looks like your furnace uses the 62-24268-01

See links below>The EB serial number uses the Honeywell control

Below is a link to several sources

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=62-24268-01

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Last question - would you suggest that I attempt to replace by myself? I was able to replace thermostat and install Ecobee easily if that tells you about my comfort.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

You absolutely can replace yourself. My suggestion is to remove the plastic clips holding board in place, lift it up and put new board in place without removing any wires.Then replace one wire at a time so as not to get anything crossed up.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Would you approve me buying this for replacement? https://www.amazon.com/62-24268-01-Rheem-Replacement-Furnace-Control/dp/B003U4MGBY
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
you are a wonderful help! i appreciate it. I almost ordered safety fan relay switch before contacting you as it thought it was culprit.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Absolutely,That is actually an oem replacement.Your current board is replacement board, not oem.That is why you could not find the 62- part number it is a heaper board (Probably an ICM board)

B the way these are the relays I was referring to that one is sticking.

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

That is why I like to ask questions and do a bit of troubleshooting before just telling you to change parts.If the limit switch were casing fan to stay on, heat would not work properly and we would get a flash code on the board

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Awesome. thanks I will go ahead and order Amazon and will let you know if that worked!
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Sounds great.We are here to help. You can return to question for up to 30 days after rating to follow up at no additional fee.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Btw - I am so sorry. Happy to pay you more but looks like the part on Amazon isnt compatible. See attached picture. In current board, i have a 12 pins socket and I dont see that from picture on Amazon. Do we have wrong part #?
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Hmm this is the correct board for the furnace based on model and serial as you can see in the links I sent.AS I mentioned, the current board does not appear to be original. Look and see if maybe there is an adapter from the 8 pin on current board that mat connect to the original 12 pin

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
See attached pics
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
as you can see in adapter of 12 pin - 3 of them are empty... that tells me that part is right but then i need to order 9 pin adapter and how do I insert? Which cables goes in which pins? heavens are busy raging against me.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Hmm, All of my resources are showing the 9 pin bard. There is no adapeter ther where they converted before huh?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no.. straight into 12 pins adapter with 3 holes ( pins) empty as I sent you in pic.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Give me a few minutes to see what I can find out

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

I am thinking some things have been changed on the furnace from original factory oem. Let me ask this.Has the furnace been doing fine and operating properly with this board until the issue with fan not shutting down?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
to be honest with you, this issue has persisted over 2 years since we moved into this house.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Since we are not sure what may have been changed, I think I would go back with the board that is currently there. Looks like they have used the universal S9200U1000,

It is actually a little cheaper too,

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-S9200U1000-Universal-Ignition-Integrated/dp/B003CVV4W2

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

That is if you remember a time when this board worked properly and fan cycled correctly.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
since i dont ever remember having fan turned off since we bought this house, the board that you are suggesting may not work?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
you are spot on. that is the currently installed board.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Wow. I hate to have you order a board and it still not work.If that board never allowed fan to shut down a new one like it would not either. THis is the problem with trying to troubleshoot expecting things are original. Lets take a look at a couple of things.

Do you see some dip switches that are changeable from off to on on the board?

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

If so make sure they are set as follows.It looks lie the furnace originally had a 9 in and whoever put this board on replaced and moved wires rather than using an adapter.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I cant locate dip switches. still looking.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Installer should have used the 50024566 adapter that came in package with the board

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

I am beginning your best bet may be to locate a local Rheem dealer and pay the price to get the proper board and wired properly rather than buying a new board not knowing what has been changed. You can find a local Rheem dealer by entering your zip at this link.

http://www.rheem.com/contractors.aspx?PostalCode=30303&Distance=25&HeatingAndCooling=1&ResidentialWaterHeaters=1&CommercialWaterHeaters=1&TanklessWaterHeaters=1&SolarWaterHeaters=1&HomeGenerators=1&PoolAndSpaWaterHeaters=1

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
got it.. there are 4 and possibly 2 more - total of 6 dip switches.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Just to see if it makes a difference set the S1 switches as follows

SW1: ON SW2: OFF SW3 & SW4: 60

Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

And on the S2 switches make sure both are ON

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I cant tell which switches are on and off and certainly cant tell about setting them to 60
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

I dont think it will make a difference .They are just time delays, but fan is not cutting off at all.

The person who installed this board no doubt moved the wires from the 9 pin harness of rather than use the adapter.

You might be cheaper in long run to get a Rheem dealer to straighten out and correct

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
awesome.. thanks for your help! you are a trooper. have a good night.
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 days ago.

Well we know the reason fan does not cut off is because of wrong board or bad board.Glad you noticed that 12 pin though as the adapter would not come with an oem board